South Jersey Babies
Options

Does anyone know anything about new FMLA law

I want to see if i'm understanding this right.  Do you still get to take 4 weeks before the birth and 6 weeks after as disability and than take 6 weeks FMLA paid under the new law? 
10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....

Re: Does anyone know anything about new FMLA law

• Options

From what I understand you can take up to 12 weeks in a 12 month period. It doesn't matter how you split the weeks up and they don't have to be concurrent. If you work in NJ (unfortunately I work in Philly) you can also be partially compensated under the Family Leave Insurance Law for 6 weeks. Check out the wesite below...

https://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/fli/fliindex.html

Hope this helps! 

• Options
    that's how it's been explained to me by my HR people.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is the way I understand it. You can take the six weeks any time within the child's first year. Federal FMLA laws protect your job for a total of 12 weeks per year. So you can choose to claim immediately following your disability.

Things are a bit different for me b/c I'm a teacher and we don't get short term disability from the state. However, I have a private disability plan and I will claim my six weeks pay under the new law after I claim my six weeks disability.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Do you work in NJ?  FMLA is Federal but your job is protected by the state too.  You get 4 weeks before, 6 weeks after for vag and 8 weeks for csec paid by the state of NJ.  You get 66% of your pay or 500 whichever is less.  You can take an additional 12 weeks beyond the 6 or 8 weeks though and your job is protected then under Federal law.  (I believe now you get some pay for the additional 12 weeks too).  So basically you can stay home with the baby for 18-20 weeks job protected....  plus any vacation time you can use. 
  • Options
    Just make sure you are taking at least 2 weeks of FMLA after you finish with disability.  I was out on disability for 8 weeks because of complications with my cesarean.  I had made plans with my company to go back to work 9 weeks after having my daughter.  So I was out of work for only 7 days after my disability ended. According to the notices I am getting from NJ FMLA I do not qualify to get paid family leave for this week because there is a week long waiting period that must be met before you can collect paid FMLA. This would have been nice to know before I went back to work.  According to the woman I talked to at FMLA if I have returned to work one day later I would be paid because it I would meet the waiting period requirement.  I am still fighting this because the paperwork I originally received stated there is no waiting period if you file for FMLA immediately after your disability ends. I sent in the paperwork for FMLA as soon as I found out I would get 8 weeks disability, that was 3 weeks before disability ends.  Since paid FMLA is so new even my HR department wasn't sure of the procedures when I filed. SO just be careful and try to get as much info in advance as possible
  • Options
    Try to get laid off...the extensions are increasing and that will give you time
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"