Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Black substance in rice cereal

I noticed a tiny bit of some black substance at the very end of her bowl of rice cereal this morning. THis is the second time I'm noticing it. 

Anyone else see this?

I think it may be one of two things:

1) Iron-it is iron fortified

2) The handle of the spoon is metal and the actual spoon part is rubber.  Maybe something in the metal handle part is coming off into the cereal, as part of the handle does get in the cereal when the bowl is full?

Any thoughts?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Black substance in rice cereal

• htomeohtomeo member
    Is it from the same box? Is it plain rice cereal, or the kind with bananas?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehtomeo:
    Is it from the same box? Is it plain rice cereal, or the kind with bananas?

It is plain, iron-fortified, rice cereal.

I notice it in the bowl at the very end of the feeding when I am getting the last bit onto the spoon.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • htomeohtomeo member

Hmmm, Willis has never had the black stuff in his cereal (with the exception of the banana's kind). But maybe it is a variation in brand. What brand do you use?

Would it be possible to purchase a new box of cereal, and see if it is in that cereal mix too? Then you would know if it is just that brand of cereal or not. It would at least narrow it down.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagehtomeo:

Hmmm, Willis has never had the black stuff in his cereal (with the exception of the banana's kind). But maybe it is a variation in brand. What brand do you use?

Would it be possible to purchase a new box of cereal, and see if it is in that cereal mix too? Then you would know if it is just that brand of cereal or not. It would at least narrow it down.

I use Earth's Best brand.  I suppose I could try that.  I guess I could try calling the number on the box too?

Thanks for your time! :)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was told black flecks in rice cereal was normal ... just a part of regular rice in the grinding process and nothing to be concerned about.

I agree; call the number or look up the website; maybe there will be a PSA about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"