Health & Exercise

Eating terrible in 1st tri, Better in 2nd?

Hi there! ?I have basically been allowing myself to eat whatever I want so far this pregnancy. ?I have not really been taking into account the baby's nutritional needs and therefore have been eating all sorts of bad things. ?Not only am I concerned about the baby, but also the amount of weight I have already been gaining (about 8 lbs!) ?Has anyone been in a similar situation and was able to pull themselves together in the 2nd trimester? ?I have lots of books on eating right while pregnant, but of course in those moments of hunger, I end up eating whatever I am craving! ?I would also like to know if anyone else has started with a higher weight gain in 1st tri and evened out later in the pregnancy as well. ?Thanks in advance!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Eating terrible in 1st tri, Better in 2nd?

• Your baby's needs are so miniscule in the 1st Tri that most Doctors will tell you not to stress too much.  Just think about all of the women who throw up everything for the first 3 months and still end up with perfectly healthy babies. (I lost 7lbs in the 1st Tri, but LO is growing strong!)

With that being said, make sure that you are taking your prenatal vitamins.  That will at least insure that you are getting enough folic acid, among other things.

2nd Tri is when you need to start paying attention to your diet.  You only need 300 extra calories a day.  You aren?t really eating for two, just 1.1.  Eating healthy options, continuing with a workout plan, and refraining from over indulging on cravings will help you keep your PG weight gain in check.

• In the 1st tri and part of the 2nd tri, I ate what I could keep down.  I basically lived off of bagels and applesauce- not exactly a well rounded diet.

Now that the m/s is subsiding, I'm trying to eat better.

Do your best.  Your baby gets many nutrients from your PNV.  Enjoy your food and try to just eat a variety.  

• Loading the player...
  • During the 1st tri I ate whatever sounded good and would stay down.  My diet mainly consisted of oranges, lemons (I know!), bagels, Bran Flakes and muffins of all kinds esp ginger muffins.  By 2nd tri I felt much better and kept up a balanced diet for the rest of my pregnancy.  Like pp said the key is everything in moderation combined with some level of physical exercise even if it is just walking around your neighborhood.  I stayed far away from fast food until the last 2 weeks when all that would satisfy me was a cheeseburger!  GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    m/c at 13 weeks - March 23, 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"