My Birth Story! — The Bump
Birth Stories

My Birth Story!

I always loved when people posted their birth stories, so here is mine =)

On Saturday, May 23rd, DH and I went to a friends house for lunch.  The couples there both have young boys, so we were talking the whole time about going into labor, etc.  I took 3 sips of DH's wine, toasting the hope of having a Memorial Day Weekend Baby.

Afterwards, DH and I took our dog on an hour long walk.  We got home at 6pm, and LO was moving around inside like crazy.  I started to have bloody show around 8:30pm.  I took a shower, pleading with my body for my water to break, and went to bed around 10:30pm.

At midnight, I got up to go to the bathroom.  I didn't realize until I was in the bathroom that my pajama pants were soaked (I was in such a deep sleep I guess).  I woke up DH, letting him know that my water broke, but that I didn't want to go to the hospital just yet.  I wasn?t feeling contractions, and wanted to wait it out as long as possible.

I started to feel contractions around 1am, and lasted at home until 3:30am.  They were coming at 2-3 minutes apart, and were really low in my abdomen/pelvis.  We live 5 minutes from the hospital, and were admitted by 3:45am.

I was at 2cm and 90% effaced at 5:30am.  I was given some Stadol right away, and passed out for a few hours.  When I woke up at 10am, I was at 4cm, 100% effaced, +1 Station.  I asked for the epi, and received it at noon.  IT WAS HEAVEN.  I didn't feel another contraction after that.  DH and I watched TV, napped, etc.  At 2pm I was still only at 4.5cm, so they gave me some pitocin.  By 3:30pm I was at 7cm.  I was determined to have the baby by 5:30pm (I have no idea why, but that was the time I had in my head).  My doctor was okay with this idea, and came back at 4:30pm to check on me.  I was finally at 10cm!!!!

The baby was really low already, so I was pretty lucky.  We discussed tearing/episiotomy, and the doctor was willing to work with me to avoid it all costs.  We practiced pushing for a bit, and then started for real!  It was so, so, so surreal.  I had an awesome nurse, and DH was unbelievable.  Everyone was cheering me on, and counting with me.

I ended up pushing for an hour in total, with no tears or cuts.  Just a few superficial stitches when his shoulders were coming out.

We were on Team Green, and were so excited to find out that it was a boy!!!  They layed him on my chest, and right away all the pain just melted away.  I didn't feel the afterbirth or the few stitches I was receiving.  DH cut the cord (which he didn?t think he was going to), and LO scored a 9/9 on his tests.

I can't even begin to explain the range of emotions that I have felt this week.  It has been an absolutely amazing experience, one I would do again in a heartbeat.  DH has been the best father/husband I could ask for, and I am terribly sad that he had to go back to work yesterday.

Sam is an amazing baby, and we feel so lucky to him =)

Re: My Birth Story!

• What week number were you in when you had him? Was he early, on time, late?  BTW, he is BEAUTIFUL!
  • Congrats! Great story, btw!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • What a cutie! Congrats! Love the name too!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • wow!  What an amazing story!  Congratulations!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Congrats he?s adorable!!  

• Congrats on a perfect delivery and healthy baby boy, and please ignore "reaganandsis'mom", seriously, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. What Dr. would even have anything to say about a few sips of wine that late in the game?? People and their unsolicited opinions are ridiculous, especially when you were simply trying to share your incredible experience. Enjoy every moment of your perfectly healthy little boy, you deserve it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards