1st Trimester

Raw carrots and vitamin A??

So I know pregnant women shouldn't exceed certain doses of vitamin A.

I've been eating raw carrots, one to two daily as it's been one of the things I've been able to eat with my morning sickness.

Having just looked up raw carrots and their nutrients I see that a cup of raw carrots have three times the recommended dose of Vitamin A for pregnant women.

Now I'm seeing my doctor on Wednesday and will ask him about this but in the meantimes I'm quite worried.

Anyone know anything about this or have any thoughts?

Thanks?

?

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

Re: Raw carrots and vitamin A??

• I am sure you can eat as many carrots as you want. Carrots don't actually contain vitamin A. They contain beta-carotene which is converted into vitamin A by your body if it needs it. Beta-carotene from veggies is absolutely harmless! But, yes, it is true that too much vitamin A is harmful and that's why you should avoid liver meat (there's a lot of vit. A in liver) and vit a supplements!
  • LMS05LMS05 member

imageleah1615:
    I am sure you can eat as many carrots as you want. Carrots don't actually contain vitamin A. They contain beta-carotene which is converted into vitamin A by your body if it needs it. Beta-carotene from veggies is absolutely harmless! But, yes, it is true that too much vitamin A is harmful and that's why you should avoid liver meat (there's a lot of vit. A in liver) and vit a supplements!

Ditto 100%. I've recently taken nutrition classes in college and the books all said you can't overdose on a vitamin unless it's in a supplement. If you eat a lot of carrots, the extra beta-carotene will be passed when you use the restroom.

• Loading the player...
  • Good question! Thanks for the answers ladies!
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"