Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I think I'm officially prepared for shots...

We had to take Addy to the ER yesterday. She was fussy all morning from 9-1 and was completely inconsolable... I kissed her head and she felt SO hot, so I checked and she had spiked a temp and being a new mommy I think I jumped the gun calling the ped (but better safe than sorry right?).  He advised I take her to the ER... well... long story short, DH and I were there from 2:20 until 9pm (and hadn't eaten since breakfast btw) while they poked, prodded and even gave my sweet little 3 week old a spinal tap.  They had to rule out a bacterial infection & due to her age they pull no punches. It was awful. Absolutely the worst experience of my life by far. My DH never cries and he actually was choking back tears when they told us all the things they had to do to her... So we had to be admitted over night for observation.  We found out this am that everything is fine and her temp normalized itself last night as well, so they are assuming it was just her fighting off a viral infection or something... I think after that hell I am more than ready for her 2 mo. shots. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: I think I'm officially prepared for shots...

• oh my goodness!!!  yes, shots will be no where near as bad as that!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I hope your little one is better!! I could not even begin to imagine how scared you and your DH were.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry.  DS was hospitalized for two nights to get heart medication adjusted and it was terrible.  yes, shots are nothing compared to what you went through today.  I'm glad your little girl is okay.
  • I can totally relate to everything you are going through. We went through the same thing with our dd when she was 7 weeks old. We had to stay in the hospital for 4 days with her and it was one of the worst experience of my life (she was in the NICU for 3 days after she was born and that was just as awful). Did they have trouble finding a vein? They worked for 1.5 hours finding one and finally had to use one in her head. Talk about heartbreaking. :(

She also got the stomach flu at 9 weeks and all of this has definitely made us stronger. You are right about the shots-we got them on Thursday and it was nothing compared to all of the other horrible stuff. Hang in there and remember how lucky you are that it was just a virus.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLSUBride26:

I can totally relate to everything you are going through. We went through the same thing with our dd when she was 7 weeks old. We had to stay in the hospital for 4 days with her and it was one of the worst experience of my life (she was in the NICU for 3 days after she was born and that was just as awful). Did they have trouble finding a vein? They worked for 1.5 hours finding one and finally had to use one in her head. Talk about heartbreaking. :(

She also got the stomach flu at 9 weeks and all of this has definitely made us stronger. You are right about the shots-we got them on Thursday and it was nothing compared to all of the other horrible stuff. Hang in there and remember how lucky you are that it was just a virus.

OH MY LORD, in her head?!  My heart just skipped a beat and I stopped breathing for a minute. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! How awful! They tried on her hand and it went horribly, she's got a little blue mark still under her skin... poor baby. they ended up finding a good one in her arm, then she had the IV and all the tubes on her arm and she likes to move her arms alot esp when she's hungry so she was bashing her head and scratching herself w/ the IV clamps... UGH!  

• :( Those little bruises just kill you, don't they? I'd look at my dd's every day and get sad all over again. :( It seemed to take forever to go away! I'm so glad your dd is okay and at home!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLSUBride26:
    :( Those little bruises just kill you, don't they? I'd look at my dd's every day and get sad all over again. :( It seemed to take forever to go away! I'm so glad your dd is okay and at home!

YES!  oh I hope they go away fast! :(   I didn't even take her 2 other bandaids off yet, i'm scared.

• Wow, I'm so sorry your LO had to go through this and happy everything turned out fine. Shots will definitely be a walk in the park compared to that.
  • Yep, unfortunately a fever in a newborn automatically warrants a septic workup.  Shots are nothin'.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"