Babies: 9 - 12 Months

1 year olds...let's talk about weaning

All this bottle talk has me curious.  If you are still breastfeeding, how often does your DC still nurse?  And what are your weaning plans (if any)? 

I want to wean DS before the new baby gets here, and we thought we'd wean straight to milk.  He takes a sippy of water but only seems to want milk from a bottle.  I'm not sure how to go about this.  Whole milk in a bottle for a while?  Also, he still nurses at least 4 times a day.  Just curious to see what others are doing/planning/have done.

Re: 1 year olds...let's talk about weaning

• I am going to talk to her Pedi tomorrow (we are picking up her records) DD Nurses abour 4 times a day. She will drink about anything ouot of a sippy so we are planning on putting her milk in there. I am not sure when we are going to start. I plan to continue nursing and maybe wean to just a feeding before bed.

I am looking to hear other suggestions!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have been a naughty bf'er since I offered ds whole milk a few wks ago...I have a sippy for milk and one for water. ?He never took a bottle so I didnt need to worry about that. ?

I dont know if he is on a nursing strike, or getting a tooth but lately he has been nursing 3 maybe 4x's/day. ?Im kind-of concerned but maybe he is self-weaning. ?My plan is to continue the morning/bedtime session until he's ready to drop and the daytime feedings will stop around one yr. ?I dont nurse him to sleep so I hope it wont be as difficult as I've heard from others. ?

Im curious to see what others are planning.?

• Loading the player...
  • I never thought it would happen but we are getting there! I started giving her milk in a sippy for her 2nd feeding, then her 3rd. Now we are working on the morning feeding, I still nurse her before bed. I took it 1 session at a time, about a week or so. Some days were rough because she would get cranky and just wanted the boob : ) Good luck!
  • I'm still nursing about 4 times a day, and have no plans to change that in the immediate future. She doesn't do a great job with the sippy yet, but if she is able to get the hang of that soon, I will introduce whole milk at that time. Then eventually we will see about cutting down on nursing sessions one at a time.
    DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • I plan on letting DS self-wean, so I'm assuming he will still be BF past a year since most babies will not self-wean under 2 years. I probably won't introduce cow's milk until he is BF less than 3x a day.?
  • I have no plans to wean as of this moment in time. DS nurses 5 or so times per day. I will most likely let him self wean. He does not really drink from a sippy cup. He mostly plays with it.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"