Eco-Friendly Family

Flea/Tick Meds

DH is at the emergency vet right now with our lab mix, who had what we think was a seizure tonight.  We gave him his dose of Frontline/Interceptor just a few hours ago.  While I don't know that it's causative, it's yet another reason for me to be uncomfortable with these meds, especially the Frontline.  With LO due to arrive any day now I'm really starting to second guess applying topical insecticides to our two dogs.

Any suggestions for flea preventatives that might be a little less toxic?  I'm looking into Comfortis, which is promoted as "family-friendly", but also trying to find some other options. 

Re: Flea/Tick Meds

• Oh no, I'm sorry!

I don't have any suggestions, but if you don't get responses here, try the Pets board--I remember seeing a similar question there, but I don't remember the answers.

I hope everything turns out well for you your family!

Mother's Day, 2011
  • Food grade Diatomacious Earth (DE).  It can be a PITA to apply and keep up with, but well worth it.  It basically works by slicing through the exoskeletons of fleas (or ticks, or whatever) and drying them out, thus killing them.  We switched from Frontline to DE three years ago and have yet to see a flea. 

It's a powder.  You'll need to rub it through your dogs coat and brush out any excess.  Since it works only when in contact with the flea, you'll need to reapply after baths.  Otherwise, we reapply once per month.  You can also treat your home with it (which is really the PITA part) and use it as an internal wormer.

I'm really sorry to hear about your pup.  I hope he's feeling better very soon!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the suggestions - I'll check out the food grade Diatomacious Earth.  Jackson is back home now and seems ok - hopefully it was a one time thing.
  • I posted on another board about this. I am an emergency veterinary technician, if It makes you feel any better, it is highly uncommon for those medications to have  caused the seizure.

On the other hand. I am not aware of any more earth friendly medication that can help prevent fleas and ticks. And depending on where you live it is very important to keep your pet on a heartworm prevenative (interceptor or other.)

Have you had problems with fleas and ticks in the past? A lot of pets won't get fleas or ticks unless they are in wooded areas or go camping etc. with their owners. You may want to ask your vet about how often they see fleas and ticks in your area and if it is really necessary to keep you dog on frontline. I'm sure that the interceptor (or other brand) is still needed though because heartworm is something that is in most states (and growing). And it can be fatal.

I'm glad your dog is better. Did they have to put him on any medications for his seizures? You should post a pic of him.  ;)

• Thanks Mandysue!  The timing of the meds was suspicious but certainly not definitive.  I think in the future we will not give the meds together so if he has any more problems we may be able to tease out the cause.  Hopefully it was a one time thing.  They sent him home without anything for the seizure, rather instructions on what to do in the future and to f/u with our vet.  Their opinion was that seizures generally aren't really a medical emergency, but it certianly was frightening.

We have not had problems with fleas/ticks but he's been on preventatives as long as we've had him.  He was on Revolution, then we switched to Frontline/Interceptor at the recommendation of the vet.  He is on Interceptor year round and Frontline only during flea/tick season.  We will certainly keep him on a heartworm med, although I am still thinking of looking into Comfortis or other options for the fleas as the topicals make me uncomfortable with a baby in the house.

This is Jackson:

by you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"