Austin Babies

we survived camping!

not only did we survive, but it was fun camping with our lil toddler this weekend!  we went to enchanted rock so not too far away in case of disaster and the campsites were nice; not too close to each other and nice shade.... nice bathroom facilities, too. 

I am thankful for the Nestie advice prior to.  Here is mine:

• Get to the site early in the day, if possible.  We went early on Friday and got there around 2:30 so we were able to get organized and a pick of the sites.  I'd imagine the last thing you'd want to be doing is having your baby screaming in the dark while you are setting up the tent.
  • Pack and play rocked for this purpose!  DS slept and played in his.  It was great for corraling him when we were setting up and taking down the tent, etc.
  • Noise machine= good.  We hooked a fan up to a car battery and it functioned as both noise and air.
  • Know that if it's summer, it may take them longer to fall asleep since it's lighter outside than in your house.  Our DS is a good sleeper and napped no problem, but the first night he didn't fall asleep until almost 9 (2 hours past his bedtime!)
  • This probably goes without saying, but try to get a site far away from people in case they cry.
  • The little plastic basin they give you in the hospital when you have a baby is great for washing dishes. 
  • Plastic containers are really fun for toddlers to fill up with rocks and leaves and stuff.
  • Bring lots of handwipes and changes of clothes.  DS got super dirty and needed bathing every night.  DH took the BOB stroller and showered with him and then put him in the Bob while he was rinsing off (I think :)
  • The little highchair/booster that straps to a chair was perfect for feeding him at a picnic table.
  • We really didn't need many toys.  Exploring our site and the inside of the tent was good enough for him.
  • My BIL let us borrow a 3 bedroom tent and it was nice to have DS on his little "wing" divided with a curtain and us on the other side, so he couldn't see us.
  • Have a contingency plan if it's your first time.  We felt better knowing that if he woke up at night and was screaming that we could come home!

Sorry so long... I was so nervous and I guess I am just so proud we tried to go!image

Re: we survived camping!

• Sounds like a great review! I'm not sure if we'll do it this summer, but I plan to in the fall :)

I might have to ask you for tips again later!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That's awesome!  I'm impressed you even attempted it, and I'm so glad you had a great time!  You might have inspired the Qs to try a little camping trip of our own... :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Kennedy Clover 7.14.08, Atalie Ryan 1.25.10
  • Loading the player...
  • I forgot to mention that the only bad thing was that it was sweltering HOT in the afternoons.  Although DS is at such a good age for this sort of thing ad we are tempted to try beach camping or something fun like that, we probably won't go again until the fall for this reason!   

• Really great advice!!  Thanks for sharing!  I think we're going to take DD in the fall. 
  • Yay!  Glad y'all did more than "just survive"!  Thanks for all the tips!  After our Memorial Day camping plans got rained out, we are definitely gonna go this fall so I really appreciate all the advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Great review - thanks!  Can't wait to go camping with DS, but I'm not brave enough to go in the summer.  We already have a traditional (adults only) camping trip we always go on in July - that's plenty for me.

Questions:  Did your DS sleep in the PNP inside the tent also?  If not, what did he sleep on?  And was it just the 3 of y'all or did you go with a group?  Just curious!

• MrsAJLMrsAJL member
    Terrific! DH and I have talked about going camping with DS. I'm not sure how hard it'll be now that he's a pretty adventurous walker. I'm glad y'all have such a fun time. :)
  • I'm glad it went so well.  That's a great picture too!
  • Yay, I'm glad everything went well and y'all had so much fun!
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• Way to go, maribel! ?I'm impressed that you did it and glad to hear it was a fun weekend for you all. ?Love the picture.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Sounds like a great trip! I love that picture!
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Glad you had a good time camping.  Good for you for being brave enough to go!
    imageimage
  • imageamyliisa:

Questions:  Did your DS sleep in the PNP inside the tent also?  If not, what did he sleep on?  And was it just the 3 of y'all or did you go with a group?  Just curious!

DS slept in the pack and play and it worked fine.  He is pretty good about sleeping in it when we go away for the weekends, too, so the idea of sleeping someplace he knew may have also helped.  I can't imagine sleeping with them on the ground! 

It was just the three of us going and it was intentional.  I was really worried that DS was going to cry and keep the whole campsite up all night and the idea of having another family there with another baby was more than I could handle the first time out.  Next time, we definitely want to go with a group, now that we are more confident.  I think it would be more fun when the babies go to bed and you could help watch each other's kids, etc.! 

• Yay! Sounds like a great trip!

I wish we could do that, but I think Baby K2 is too young for that especially in this heat and sun.

Thanks for the tips, definitely something to consider for the fall!

~NDK~

• good for you!!! That picture is absolutely adorable.  Great tips too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"