Breastfeeding

breast pain/burning sensation

For the past few days, my right breast has been it a lot of pain. It is not necessarily nipple pain, but a deeper pain that feels hot and more like a burning pain. It is most painful when my breasts are full or when I bend over. When my son latches on to that breast, it is an excruciating, white hot pain for the first few moments and then subsides. This doesn't happen on the other breast and is different from the pain I felt when I first began to breast feed and my nipples were cracked (they don't appear to be cracked now). I have researched mastitis and thrush and I'm not convinced it is either of those but am not sure. Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be or what I could do to ease the pain? Thanks!

Oh, I have been exclusively breastfeeding until about 2 weeks ago when I began pumping once a day to have a supplementary bottle available and to build up a stash prior to work. Could it be related to pumping??

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: breast pain/burning sensation

• Is there any discoloration to the nipple?  If your nipple turns white after feeding it could mean something that has to do with circulation--I can't remember the name--it's listed on the kellymom website.  Also--thrush can be like this as well.  My LO nor I had any outside symptoms, but the doc said it was thrush and prescribed me an ointment.  Thrush is in the nipple and deep inside the breast.  I didn't think I had it because me son didn't have any  white patches. 
  • imagejust1day:
    Is there any discoloration to the nipple?  If your nipple turns white after feeding it could mean something that has to do with circulation--I can't remember the name--it's listed on the kellymom website.  Also--thrush can be like this as well.  My LO nor I had any outside symptoms, but the doc said it was thrush and prescribed me an ointment.  Thrush is in the nipple and deep inside the breast.  I didn't think I had it because me son didn't have any  white patches. 

This.

I had the exact same pain as you two weeks ago. Actually, my pain just came back... so I think the thrush is back. It can be a real PITA to get rid of... 

• Loading the player...
  • It sounds like the same thing I had happen a month or so ago. The lactation consultant at my hospital said it could be rapid refill or rapid let down...or the baby not draining the breast properly. I tried feeding in a different position on just that one side and that seemed to take care of it pretty quickly. I did the football hold on that one side vs. the cradle hold, just to drain it differently, I only had to do that for a few days. I would definately call a lactation consultant or your dr. if it isn't feeling better soon.

• could it be a clogged duct?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"