TTC After a Loss
Options

Anyone else in the medical field?

...that is going through TTCAL right now? I feel as though I know too much for my own good and I sit here on the computer reading up on stuff like how my blood tests should be and if I need to ask my doc to run certain tests to make sure everything is ok with me. To make matters worse I work as an RN on an OB floor and sometimes feel like a defective piece of equipment when I see sooooooooo many others just get pregnant with a snap of their fingers! Argh.

Re: Anyone else in the medical field?

• Options
    texas77texas77 member
    yep i'm trained in the medical field and my dr hates me for it.  i guess because i make her work too hard?  Confused  she can't really just give me the standard BS answers.  after talking with her over and over she insisted that we TTC her way for the first 6 mths that i was her patient.  but i talked her down to 3.  i called her a week and a half ago and she hasn't called me back yet, i'd switch to someone else, but she's the only one i can see with our ins.  sigh. 
  • Options
    JenyMJenyM member
    I hear you. I'm a pharmacist and being in this field makes me kinda of a hypochondriac.
    BFP#1 missed m/c-d&c 10/27/08, BFP#2 BO-natural m/c 5/15/09, BFP#3 8/12/09-DS born 4/2010, BFP#4=TWINS-missed m/c&d/c 6/15/11, BFP#4 11/22/11- please stay with me
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageannecoxrn:
    When I do get pregnant next time now that I've had a miscarriage, I am going to be a mental case.

LOL Ditto! We should be mental cases together!

• Options

I work in the medical field, too.  I started off working at an OB/Gyn office, and I am so glad I moved to family practice.  The complaints about not wanting to be pregnant and questions about whether or not we performed abortions were annoying enough at the time (and I was young enough that I wasn't interested in TTC back then), but I probably would have been fired for slapping some girls if I were working there this month. 

Anyway, that rant was off-topic - sorry about that!  In response to your actual comment - yes, I feel like sometimes I am armed with too much knowledge.  It can definitely be a good thing, like when the old-fashioned family doctor I work for can try to share some of his opinions on m'cs, but sometimes I think it makes the obsessing worse. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DrDPMDrDPM member
    I'm a doctor. Up until my m/c, I was probably one of the most laid back patients my OB had. Now, I'm a little nutty, but not as bad as I thought I'd be. My OB and I work for the same health system, so I can look up my medical records online from home - which is handing when having bloodwork or other tests done, but can make me a little OCD as well. I'm trying to remain as calm as possible; I don't want to become "that" patient. I keep telling myself to stick to my own field and let him stick to his.  We'll see how long that lasts, though
  • Options
    I'm a pharmacist.  My husband complains that I self diagnose and self medicate myself. 
    Thank you TTCAL and IF board. "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Miscarried December of 2008, Ectopic Pregnancy November of 2009

IVF #1 = BFN | IVF #2 = BFP: 9dp5dt (399), 14dp5dt (2489)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus" Philippians 4:6,7
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicIn loving memory of MrsTyson's precious Julia
  • Options

Im an xray tech in a hospital,and I see women coming in for their ultrasounds and such which can be hard, but I do feel like I know too much for my own good. I research things to DEATH!! I went to my OB and we were discussing our game plan with TTC and my PCOS was the topic..he siad that he wont even bother giving me his normal speech and i know more than the pamphlet!! lol

• Options

I'm an ob/gyn resident. This field is my life 80 hours a week at work, studying in the evenings and on weekends.  It's all I think about. It's exhausting. I never escape it.  Talk about knowing too much.

I'm determined to be the most understanding ob/gyn E V E R.

• Options
    imageI_am_DCA:

I'm determined to be the most understanding ob/gyn E V E R.

I think we can all tell that you will be.  When I move to texas will you be my doctor?

***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You're so sweet!  :)   It's the patients that keep me going.  

I saw a girl in the ER back in August, and we thought she had an ectopic.  I scoped her and it was just a ruptured ovarian cyst.  She ended up having her baby a few weeks ago (with a private physician I recommended) and she went out of her way to give me baby pictures.  My heart melted!!

• Options
    Thats so nice.  Im glad that you were able to help her, and that she went on to have a healthy baby.  How great to be a part of that.
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMrsErv412:
    To make matters worse I work as an RN on an OB floor and sometimes feel like a defective piece of equipment when I see sooooooooo many others just get pregnant with a snap of their fingers! Argh.

This describes how I feel perfectly!!  I just graduated nursing school in May and I am training to be a Postpartum RN.  I have worked in OB for the past 4 years as a CNA, too, so I already knew a lot about that particular area.  I've always loved my job, but ever since my m/c it has been a little harder to bond with my patients...especially the ones who are obviously NOT ready to be parents.  :-(

BFP #1 - 2/1/09-mc 2/5/09 @4wks
    BFP #2 - 6/24/09-mc 7/25/09 @8wks
    6/09 Dx w/PCOS--Metformin & Progesterone
    8/09 Dx w/Compound Hetero MTHFR--Neevo, Metanx & BA
    BFP #3 - 1/11/10 - DD1 born 9/16/10 @39w4d, 8lbs 14oz & 20in.
    Heparin from BFP to 34wks.
    BFP #4 - 10/4/11 - DD2 born 6/2/12 @38w1d, 8lbs 11oz & 21in.
    Same med protocol as last time, but heparin continued until delivery.
    BFP #5 - 3/30/14, EDC 12/10/14!!

Beta #1-76 (12dpo), Beta #2-238 (14dpo)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"