Northern California Babies

Do I really need a maternity swimsuit?

Im taking a swim class that starts in 2 weeks (lasts for 8 weeks). Do I need a maternity swimsuit? Can I just wear a normal tankini? I have a bikini but thought I should get something that covers me a bit more for the classes.

Im 15 weeks and not showing at all. I think I might be able to get away with a tankini because it will stretch in front as I grow but obviously I have no experience with being pregnant and how I can expect things to fit in the next few months.

Thoughts?

Re: Do I really need a maternity swimsuit?

• Sounds fine to me. The tankini might start to rise up towards the end, but you'll be fine.

This was me at 26w, which is where you might be at the end of your class. I think a tankini would fit a little tight... but should fit.

• I would think that a tankini would be just fine, but I obviously have no real idea of what to expect. Sorry, I'm not too much help, but I'd stick with the tankini :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I fit into my tankini till mid-to-late second trimester.

If you do want one, Old Navy usually has good deals.

Have fun!?

• Thanks for the info. I think I will just do a tankini. Since ON is cheap maybe I can get a top in small for now then a med for later on.
  • I think a tankini should be fine.  When we went on vacation at 28 weeks, I just wore a regular suit but up a size.  It worked well.

• I saw some at Motherhood on clearance today.
  • I've worn regular bathing suits throughout. I'm now in a tankini, because I want more coverage after I have the baby, too. Get the top in a larger size than you think you'll need.
  • I am 25 weeks and couldnt do a normal tankini because they are too tight and I acnt stand anything tight on my belly (personal preference though)

Some people dont care at all about belly showing so if you dont mind tight or some belly peeking then go for it!

Also if you plan to swim later you may need one though if you dont go the bikini route

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    br
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersbr>
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I would say it depends on you.  I wore a regular speedo bikini (I swim laps every week) until I was about 30 weeks pg then I put on a maternity tankini top but even that doesn't really cover my belly.  I think you can get away with a normal tankini.
  • I think it's all about comfort for you, if you are comfortable in a bikini than go for it...no one will care.  Tri-reader just posted about a speedo bikini that she loves for her swim classes.  I'd think that you may want one like the speedo for more support...

If you feel better in a tankini than I say get some cheaper ON ones (or even target) and that way you can get them to grow with you. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"