Toddlers: 24 Months+

MIL's visit is going to make me postal

My H sent for his mother to come for a month long visit.  She is allegedly to "help" me with the kids ( 2 years and 10 months).  Mind you I never asked for help, but since we see my family much more often than his, I gave in.  However, since arriving last weekend, I am racking up a list of grievances.  Here are some of them:

1. It's past 12pm and she is sitting here across from me dressed in her pajamas.  She doesn't get up before 11am.  Which means I am on my own when the kids wake up at 6:30-7am (M-F).  H does help on weekends.

2. Every day I make a pot of coffee, enough for the both of us.   When she finally rises for the day, she drinks it all and leaves the empty (dirty) pot in the coffee maker.  So every morning, I not only make the coffee, I have to clean the pot, too.

3. Every night at 6pm she looks over at me and asks what's for dinner.  I don't cook every night when she's not here, I'm not gonna do it while she is.  Besides, when I go to her house she never cooks us a meal.  So WTF?  I have 2 kids NOT 3!

4.  Sensing my attitude about dinner, she says she'll cook dinner, just tell her what to do.  Well, if I have to tell you what to do I might as well just do it myself since she seems to fcuk things up (either by accident or on purpose) when I do.

5. She is always telling my 10 month old baby "no."  He's cruising and most of the time, he's just exploring in the family room where everything is baby-proofed.  There is very little that could hurt him.  Instead of getting up off her arse and playing with the kids, she just sits on her throne bellowing "nos."   I've asked her to think of another word to re-direct him and my 2 yr old, but nothing gets through that thick skull.

6.  She is constantly falling asleep on the couch.  I ask her to go take a nap in bed, but she says she only goes to bed once a day.  As if sleeping in an up right position is different.

7.  Even H is frustrated with her...  Last night they had a raging arguement about how much (if any) $$ he gives her.  She alleges he gives her nothing...  He says he's been giving her money since he first started working '87 when he was in high school.  I believe him.  I know personally that we pay some of her utilities because she is irresponsible.  Keep in mind this is not an elderly woman (she's in her late 50's).

8.  I am potty training my 2 year old and she berated the child when she had an accident.  That made me snap!  I had to leave the room...

Honestly, I can't take 3 more weeks of this.

Re: MIL's visit is going to make me postal

• OMG!!  I don't have much advice for you, but I can tell you that I feel very sorry for you.  There is no way that I could tolerate my MIL staying with me for a whole month and she doesn't seem half as bad as yours!
  • Just be happy its his Mom and not yours....90% of those sound like my Mom!  Which suuuuuuuuuuucks!!!!    All those traits sound like total personality flaws.  Some people arent helpers, nurtures, etc.. Stuff like that is real tough to change.... Ive been trying to help my mom "evolve" for YEARS! lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Wow, I would be going postal too. I totally would snap if my mil was like that with my kids. 3 weeks sounds like hell, I feel so bad for you. Perhaps you might want to draw up a list of chores that are her?responsibility, like cleaning up the coffee pot, and making dinner. I would just draw up a menu/ shopping list of easy to cook things and tell her while she is here to help that that is her?responsibility. She sounds like she needs direction.?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"