Indiana Babies

need advice -creating routine

repost of my question

I wondered what you girls do.  Thanks!!

Re: need advice -creating routine

• We didn't really have a routine until he was about 4 months old.  After 8pm, we'd turn off the lights if we were downstairs or I'd rock him in his room.  I was nursing him to sleep, but now I'll start off nursing and finish with a bottle.  If he's not asleep, I'll either rock him or walk around his room with him and sing him to sleep.  We start his bedtime routine around 7pm now (sometimes earlier if he's yawning, rubbing his eyes, didn't get any naps, etc)...with a bath, then storytime if he's not crying, and then feed him.  **Usually** he's asleep between 7:30 and 8:30pm.  But, just the other day, he didn't sleep until 9:30pm.

I think while it doesn't hurt to start Andrew into a routine, I wouldn't push it.  Evan was the same way around 2 months old...his nighttime feedings were so unpredictable.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • lemen99lemen99 member
    imagembs427:

I think while it doesn't hurt to start Andrew into a routine, I wouldn't push it.  Evan was the same way around 2 months old...his nighttime feedings were so unpredictable.

Okay, I feel better.  I felt like he was too young for a set bed time and didn't see how to make that work.  But it's something good to keep in mind as we move toward the next couple of months.

:) thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • We had a loose routine from day one.  Meaning she had a semi-nap time, bottle times, and bed time.  But, very loose at that and it was mainly when SHE wanted to do those things anyways.  I just had a little predictability that around 11 am she'd be down for a nap or what not, so I should plan a lunch trip at that time or what not.
  • amstepamstep member

Ours sort of fell into place, led by DS.  I didn't push anything, and just simply watched him for cues.  you would be amazined at how you could set your watch by this child.  Just a while ago he was whining, and just from the sound of the whine, I could tell it was 3:00 and time for his afternoon bottle and nap.  Went to check the clock, and yep.  2:56.  Scary how kids seem to have some sort of internal clock of their own.  Watch yours and you will start to see the patterns.  Go with what works, and you will find your routine. 

• For some reason, Jake's bedtime has 9pm since we brought him home.  We can't move it earlier to save our lives either!  We both go to bed at 9 and then Matt gave him a bottle when he woke up at 12am.  Now that he is sleeping until 2-3am I am doing that feeding.  I wake up anyway if I don't because I am too full. 

Other than, I don't have much of a schedule. He seems to have an official wake up time of 7:30, but he'll get up 5 or 6am and then go back to sleep until 7:30.  I wish he would just sleep through!!

Other than that, he has a nap 2 hours after he wakes up from the previous one.  I let him set the schedule.  Everything is going to change though because I go back to work tomorrow :-(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"