Breastfeeding

one big mess give me advice

ok SIL had her baby 2 weeks after me.  This is her 3rd child so it's not her first rodeo...however she only bf one of her other kids for maybe 2 months.

I believe she has an overactive let down.  Her dd had a really hard time nursing and apparently her milk would just squrit out after her dd attemped to latch on.  So her lo had a hard time getting much as she would probably be frustrated by it coming out so fast. 

About a 2 weeks ago SIL started pumping and started giving her bottles of pumped milk.  However she told me she only pumps for 5 mins because she finds it annoying. 

Correct me if i'm wrong but if she's only pumping for 5 mins she most likely isn't getting the hindmilk to come out right?  Her lo is quite fussy and I encoraged her to try and pump a little more as she may have an imbalance from the foremilk and hindmilk. 

She will also switch between formula and ebm each feeding.  I have a feeling her dd is getting a really upset tummy. 

Her pedi also told her there is basically no benefit to bf after 6-8 weeks.  At that time formula and bm are the same! Ludacris huh?

I have nicely told her a couple of times about tryign to pump for a longer time b/c there may be an imbalance and make her fussy, but i just don't know what to say anymore.

Yesterday at a cookout her dd was crying and fussing for almost an hour probably b/c her tummy was so upset.

WWYD? Just stay out of it? Her lo will be 6 weeks soon and I have a feeling she may just give up the pumping then too since her pedi gave her that terrible advice.  But what if she continues this?

Re: one big mess give me advice

• I agree that that is horrible advice from a pedi. That being said, it may actually be better for her to just go to formula if she's not willing to put forth the effort to pump longer. Her daughter isn't getting the hindmilk, and while I do believe that any amount of BM is beneficial, the kid can't be getting adequate nutrition from just foremilk (although that's just my opinion and I really don't know for sure). The kid is probably crying not just from gas, but also because she's hungry! The foremilk is digested very quickly and it's not satisfying for long. That poor baby :(
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I would stay out of it.  Everything you said is right, but no one like unsolicited parenting advice.  Now, if she asks your opinion, that's different.
  • Loading the player...
  • Horrible advice from her ped about the benefits of bfing. 

I'm one for trying to help people and bfding but unless they want the help, it's hard to do anything.  If pumping more than 5 minutes is annoying, I think honestly I would try to stay out of it. 

And it's the foremilk that comes out first, the watery, almost clear low fat milk.  The hindmilk is creamy colored, higherfat milk that counterbalances the foremilk.

• JDardenJDarden member

imagemrsain1105:
    I would stay out of it.  Everything you said is right, but no one like unsolicited parenting advice.  Now, if she asks your opinion, that's different.

Ditto.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've given suggestions once and she chose not to try it.  I do hope for the baby's sake that she switches totally to formula soon.  I just feel so bad for her baby b/c she seems so fussy all the time. 

I will stay out of it but it makes my heart hurt to hear her baby fussing all the time.  Hopefully the switch will happen soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"