High-Risk Pregnancy

Amy (GD Baby) has arrived!

Hello everyone...just wanted to pop in and say that Amelia Joanne was born on May 28th after a successful induction.  She was 6lbs, 9oz. and 19.5 inches long (so much for "big babies!").  She is absolutely delightful and I love her so much!!

When I had GD I was always concerned if the GD would "stick" and how things would go in the hospital.  So - I'll tell you my experience...I hope it helps.

Amy's blood sugar was drawn 3 times from her heel to test for hypoglycemia.  They wanted it to be above 45 and it was 58, 50, and 58.  So no ill effects from the GD there.

I was told to eat a normal diet.  Loved my first drink of OJ the next morning!  DH brought me Reeces Peanut Butter cereal to the hospital as a surprise.  I ate a bowl of that as a bedtime snack the night of the birth.  My OB wanted my glucose number drawn twice on my second day - fasting and 2 hours after lunch.  Both results were "normal" and I was declared diabetes-free.

It surprised me that the numbers they were aiming for seemed to be way higher than my GD numbers.  My fasting number the next day was 100, they said that was fine.  My 2-hour post lunch number was 124....they said they were looking for it to be under 180!  Yowza!  Anyway, it feels good to be rid of the GD but I haven't binged as much as I thought I might.  I still am kinda craving the healthy foods I got used to, with some more carbs and a few sweets thrown in. 

Hope you're all doing well!  Let me know if I can answer any questions about a GD delivery.

And here's my beautiful girl... Big Smile

Re: Amy (GD Baby) has arrived!

• Wow... she is absolutely adorable! Congratulations!

And congrats on not having diabetes anymore! I just starting everything this week, and I'm already looking forward to getting Max out and going back to normal.

• Congrats! She's beautiful!
  • Loading the player...
  • She is just that.....beautiful.  Congrats
  • What a beautiful little girl!! I'm so glad your GD is finally gone! Hopefully we'll all be so lucky!
  • Congratulations - what a cutie!!

And thanks for the extra info. regarding the follow up measurements they did for both you and Amy. How wonderful to know that all is well and you don't have to worry about GD anymore. Yay!

I assume they induced you due to the GD? Had she been measuring large or was this just standard practice with your OB?

My three little ones
  • She's BEAUTIFUL!  Congrats!!
  • imagerebbie:

Congratulations - what a cutie!!

And thanks for the extra info. regarding the follow up measurements they did for both you and Amy. How wonderful to know that all is well and you don't have to worry about GD anymore. Yay!

I assume they induced you due to the GD? Had she been measuring large or was this just standard practice with your OB?

That was standard practice for all GD patients.  They induced at 38 weeks and 6 days.  From the ultrasound and from external exams, they thought she was bigger but I think they would have induced at approx. 39 weeks no matter what.

• Congrats on your baby girl and being GD free! She's so cute!
  • Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl and being GD free!!  Thanks so much for posting the details... it really helps to hear success stories!

GL and congrats again!

• Wow, I honestly think that is one of the cutest newborns I've ever seen. Great picture! Congrats on the baby and being diabetes free! :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • aspadeaspade member
    Congrats!  And thank you for giving us some much needed/craved info on what happens after the birth with GD.  Maybe you are setting a good precedent and we should all follow up!  Very reassuring!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats! Love the cheeks, Beautiful baby!

• imageLouMommy:
    imagerebbie:

That was standard practice for all GD patients.  They induced at 38 weeks and 6 days.  From the ultrasound and from external exams, they thought she was bigger but I think they would have induced at approx. 39 weeks no matter what.

Congratulations!  Your baby is beautiful.  Thanks for the extra info.  I have been worried because at my last ultrasound taken at 30 weeks my baby was measuring in the 80th percentile and according to their scan was already 4.5 lbs.  It is nice to see a real life experience where they thought she was bigger than she really was - gives me hope that maybe the same is true for my LO.

Did you have a c-section or vaginal?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh she's so precious!  Congratulations!

Thank you for posting your post-GD story too.  I've been wondering what that will be like.  Yay for sugar cereals! LOL

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Congrats!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What a sweet baby picture.
    Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • imageStangJK13:
    imageLouMommy:
    imagerebbie:

Congratulations!  Your baby is beautiful.  Thanks for the extra info.  I have been worried because at my last ultrasound taken at 30 weeks my baby was measuring in the 80th percentile and according to their scan was already 4.5 lbs.  It is nice to see a real life experience where they thought she was bigger than she really was - gives me hope that maybe the same is true for my LO.

Did you have a c-section or vaginal?

It was vaginal - the epidural was heaven and I pushed her out in one push.  Gotta love the pain meds!

• Congrats, she is beautiful!  Thanks for posting all the details - it is very reassuring to know what happens after delivery and SO glad to hear your baby had good glucose levels!  It is also nice to hear you had a successful induction as my OB was talking about induction today and it got me nervous.  CONGRATS again on your baby and being GD free :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"