High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Hyperemesis gravidarum?

Does anyone on here have Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) also?

I found out I offically have it last night after a lovely 12 hour trip to the ER for fluids. I have lost in the last 2 weeks 5% of my body weight and currently unable to eat or drink enough with out medical intervention.  My husband was proud of me today for drinking half a can of gingerale and a half a poato the size of a quater.  I have to met with my Ob monday to figure the plan for this out. The baby heart beat is fine and the HGC levels are where they should be so thats a relive.

if you have/have it does it get better? I feel like I am in a ever ending loop of vomiting (which I phyically painful/ hard as hell due to an operation I had at 14).

Thank ahead you gals

Re: Hyperemesis gravidarum?

• Options
    Whats with the weird blue stuff?  o well silly forum
  • Options
    I myself don't have it but my SIL had it with both of my nephews. She remained pretty sick up until about 6-7months and at the very end it started coming back. With each following pregnancy our OB told her it gets worse. Definately true for my second nephew. Both times she was hospitalized a few times and had nurses come into her home and administer iv's and piclines. Good luck and I hope there  are other ladies with more info for you!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't had it, but a good friend of mine did. She was very sick her entire pregnancy and ended up getting induced at 37 weeks because the baby wasn't growing very well. Her little girl ended up being perfectly fine. I know my friend did have to go to the hospital a number of times throughout the pregnancy for fluids since vomiting dehydrated her. I know that she took a number of anti-nausea meds that really only worked to decrease the number of times she threw up each day (nothing could completely alleviate it). GL and hang in there!
  • Options

Oh, I am so, so sorry.  It totally sucks.

I had it with my daughter.  I actually ended the pregnancy weighing less than when I started!  (Although I was a dress size larger, because everything moved.)  For me, it got a LOT better around 20 weeks.  So far, this pregnancy is going MUCH better.  I turned into the vomit comet again, yesterday, but I seem to be staying at normal-bad m/s levels, nothing dangerous.

Are you on Zofran?  It's the only thing that ever helped me.  I'm thrilled to find out that since my daughter it's come out in a generic (yay! 1/8 the price!) AND it's now a meltaway--no more throwing up hundreds of dollars in antinausea meds!  :-)

Good luck!  I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

• Options

I lurk on other boards here, but for some reason I just randomly clicked on High-Risk Pregnancy tonight...

I had HG during my pregnancy. Like you, I found out around 7 weeks or so after a trip to the ER. The bad news is there were 3-4 really bad months before I slowly started to improve. I was 112 lbs when I got pregnant. At my lowest point, I was 98 lbs, and I was 116 lbs when I went into labor.

The good news is HG will probably not affect your baby. Despite my low weight gain, my daughter was born at 40 weeks weighing 6 lbs, 14 oz, and was perfectly healthy.

Ask your OB about a drug called Zofran to help with the nausea. It is safe during pregnancy, and while it doesn't take away the nausea, it makes it more bearable.

Good luck! Keep in mind HG varies from person to person, so you might have an easier time than I did. If you need some support try the forums at www.helpher.org

• Options

thank you all for responding : ), I have been on zofran for  the last 6 years due to stomach issues which required that above stated operation. It does not seem to be cutting it at all so I have to talk with my Ob about something else. If I double the dose to 8 mg and don't move( coughing ,eat, drink are out of the question ) I feel okay for 2 hours. Well its good to see there are others who made it threw this.

Thank you again

• Options
    I personally did not have it but a good friend to mine did.  She had Zofran pump that she wore 24 hours a day so she had constant meds.  She was a nurse so I don't think the needle/tubes and all that bothered her as much, but you might want to ask your Dr. about it.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I'm so sorry to hear that you have HG :( I had it "severely" from weeks 6-30 with my son. I lost like 28 lbs, had a few hospital stays for about a week each time, a bunch of quick overnights for fluids blah blah. I eventually got a PICC line so I could have continuous IV fluids at home instead of always going to the hospital. Barfing at least 6 times a day...couldn't eat or drink anything, the works. It was basically the worst time ever. Thankfully, it lifted right around 30 weeks and I was a happy eating pregnant lady from then on! I was always worried that my son wouldn't be able to grow properly because I was so malnourished, but he was born at 39 weeks and weighed 9lbs 12oz, so that wasn't the case!

It's so hard being so miserable during a time when you are suppose to be happy! Just take it a day at a time, so what you can to eat/drink ANYTHING (I could only drink if it was ice cold...like slushies. I would still throw it back up, but at least I could drink SOMETHING sometimes. I couldn't eat much of anything for a long time though.) Stay in close touch with your doctor, and get to the hospital if you feel you are dehydrated!! It is nothing to mess around with, and it's important to advocate for yourself, or have your sig. other do it for you.

Check out the website hyperemesis.org...there are great message boards and info there. I found it amazingly helpful and so did my family. 

After it all though, I am feeling like I want to give it another shot and get pregnant again. I swore up and down that I would NEVER be pregnant again, but time changes things once you see how wonderful your LO is :) If you need ANYTHING, page me!!

• Options
    This is my first pregnancy - lost 34 lbs so far and still haven't had a single week where I've been able to gain. I was unbearably sick and while my docs gave me meds to help, they didn't tell me what it was, so I did my own research and found helpher.org. Reading their past topics in the foums is really the only thing that helped me get through it all. You'll find MOUNTAINS of info there to help you and be able to chat with other women going though the same thing, which is helpful if none of your friends/ family can relate to what you're going through.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"