Breastfeeding
Options

How long to build up a supply?

I am due Nov 19 at this time I'll be finishing up my 3rd semester in Nursing School. I really want to breastfeed with out supplementing with formula if possible. I just was wondering how big of a supply is typically needed and how long it took moms to get that supply. I plan on taking a week or so off after delivering (I'm hoping thanksgiving will fall in and I can get a few extra days) and wondering if it's completely unrealistic goal.
Our Halloween Treat! Self-weaned at 23months Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: How long to build up a supply?

• Options
    Yes, I think this is unrealistic.  Your milk will not come in for a few days, most likely, so you will not have time to get a stash.  Plus, your LO will still be eating every 2 hours or so; can you pump that often?  Honestly, I can not imagine going back to work or school after a week.  Of course, I only got about 5 hours of sleep total that first week, so maybe it will be better for you.  Also, if you are breastfeeding, most LCs do not advise introducing a bottle until breastfeeding is well established (4-6 weeks).  However, if you do decide to do this, you can mix formula with the BM if you do not have enough from pumping.
  • Options

The instructors are being very supportive and are even willing to let me use their offices to pump. I'm still waiting to see if I need to go back that soon or if there is going to be extra spots for me to get clinicals done prior to delivery. If they find an open spot that works with making up rotations (I'll be needed to make up my OB rotation and we do peds and psych during this semester) I'll have an extra 2 weeks that I'll be home.

I know how much of a benefit the baby gets from BM and would love to just breastfeed. Worse case senerio I could probably make up clinicals during winter break and just need to have a supply for 2 day between 8-1050 and then one12 and 230.

Our Halloween Treat! Self-weaned at 23months Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

That does not seem very realistic to me. Not only for your supply, but also your emotional and physical well-being.

Breast-feeding is not easy- I thought it would be a breeze, but I was both emotionally and physically drained the first month or longer. The first 6 weeks at least is a time for the baby to nurse on demand to build your supply and also bond.

I wish you the best of luck, but from my experiences and those of most I know, to have a good breastfeeding experience and supply you have to put in lots of 1 on 1 time with your LO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have several friends who did this in nursing school...some did really well, especially by preparing yourself mentally, but others knew they would have trouble physically and emotionally. 

If I understand you correctly, you would really only need to sneak out to class for a couple hours at a time...I think you'll be OK for class, but do not try to get thru a 8 or 12 hour clinical day, you will be miserable...do your best to do extra hours prior to the birth if they'll let you, if not, take four weeks or so and make it up over your winter break.  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"