Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

too much to handle today & D&C $$ Ques

So I just go the mail....FIVE baby things came in the mail.  I tore all of them up and threw them in the garbage. 

If that wasn't bad enough, my bill for my D&E came in....$8300!!!  This is before insurance, but I am scared.  This was just like a slap in the face and a cruel joke...like haha..here are all these baby things and then here is your bill for your d&e b/c you can't have a baby. I really feel like I had been doing ok this week until now.  I feel like it is too much to handle.  I am so scared I am never going to be able to have my own baby.

Anyways, I know it is personal, but how much of your d&c bill did insurance cover?  I might have to have another one (had complications at one week out, now I am 2 weeks and still have cramping and intermitent bleeding)...I told my husband that and he said, well, we can't afford it so I guess you can't.  I know we are just both frustrated.  I just want this all to be over..I can't take it anymore, really, I can't.  If you have any info that you are willing to share about how much you ended up having to pay for your d&c, I would really appreciate it.

Re: too much to handle today & D&C $$ Ques

• Options

My bills have not come in for the D&C yet, so I have no good advice.  I would imagine that since it was a medical necessity for you, that they would have to cover a fair amount.  You could call your insurance company and ask some general questions about what they cover to get a heads up. 

GL to you, and I am so sorry that you have to deal with this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would call your insurance right away.  I don't think the answers you get from people will be helpful as it is dependent on your insurance.  If no one is available this weekend, you should have access to or a copy of you Explanation of Benefits.  You should be charged much less though as the $8300 is probably what they like to bill you as opposed to what is covered (i.e. negotiated rate will be $4,000 and you pay 20% of that...).  Also, this D&C could be considered medically necessary as opposed to an optional D&C, and hopefully that might make a difference as well.  GL
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

oh my goodness, what a sucky sucky mail call you had today. between the baby ads and the d&e bill... how awful. i could totally understand how you'd feel like that's a slap in the face.

i agree with the pp about checking with your insurance. also, please keep in mind that there's all sorts of medical assistance out there, and if you can't pay for it the hospital may be able to settle your debt or at least put you on a managable payment plan. you should never feel like you "can't" have a medically necessary procedure because of money.

best of luck to you.

• Options

I am so sorry that things keep happening like this.

I second the recommendation to talk with the hospital as soon as you can, and to contact your insurance company about what will be covered (at least then you'll know what you are facing, particularly if you have to have a second D&C, which I very much hope you don't.)

We were lucky to have very good coverage so we just had a $200 co-pay. The bills looked like they totaled around $5500.?

Mommy to Alden, born May 19, 2007 - best birthday present ever! natural m/c October 20, 2008 at 8w1d BFP April 4, 2009! Missed m/c discovered May 1, 2009 D&C May 12,2009 BFP March 3, 2010 Chemical pregnancy BFP May 25, 2010 Elias Derek born January 26, 2011! Surprise BFP October 24, 2012 Missed m/c confirmed Nov 26 D&C Nov 30 Surprise BFP February 13, 2013
  • Options

Insurance companies are just so annoying sometimes. I've heard that some of them deny charges for a D&C because they call it an "elective abortion."

My insurance company actually denied my 2nd ultrasound because they deemed it medically unnecessary -- even though that was what was needed to confirm that my pregnancy wasn't viable and I ended up in the ER a week later having a m/c. When I mentioned this to my doctor she was livid.

Just make sure you appeal it if they try to deny most of the charges. Insurance companies rely on the fact that people will pay up without a fight... and most people do because they feel like they won't win.

Good luck to you and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    mam885mam885 member
    Mine ended up costing about $2000 (my $1500 annual deductible and a few hundred extra for anesthesiology and pathology that weren't covered.) We found this out minutes before going in for surgery- I was told it would be my co-pay, NOT deductible. Awesome. I'm glad we had a credit card. I remember that 'slap in the face feeling' getting the bills from the dr., anesthesiologist, surgery center, etc. I would make my husband check the mail for a couple weeks if I were you. I'm so, so sorry you have to go through this. I'm trying to miscarry naturally right now, with no signs if progess, and one of the reasons is because I don't want to pay another $2 grand to NOT get to meet my baby. Ok, sorry to get off on a rant. I'm still really bitter about it (maybe you couldn't tell) and it makes me mad that you're having a similar experience. But, like a previous post said, check it out with your insurance. Hopefully you'll only owe a very small portion of that. Good luck and I'm sorry again.
    Missed Miscarriage 9 weeks/Missed Miscarriage 12 weeks/Natural Miscarriage 5.5 weeks
    BFP 11/6/09. Rory Anne Born 6/28/10!

• Options

I know the feeling.  It was fun to get those items in the mail when you were pregnant.  And it has been difficult to receive the bills for the "second miscarriage."  I am now  on my 3rd dose of Misoprostal-the cheaper option.  If not everything has come out with my next appt on 6/5, then I have to do a D&C.  I am thinking that it is covered at 85%.  But I will probably check with my insurance so that it is not so much of a shock.  I keep having to remind myself--that this is what I need to do in order to be able to TTC--but I am also getting testing for recurrent pregnancy loss through bloodwork--if there is anything that I can do that will help things with future pregnancies--it will help me now.  I am over 35, and I would love to have a child by the age of 40.

And I only keep "baby" things or mail that I think I will use later.  Hopefully, when I do have a child, I can really treasure those things--"check"  I am now a mom, and I can say that I have gone through the pregnancy and now have a beautiful child that I can treasure. 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options

My first miscarriage was in january 2009 at 10 weeks 5 days.  My D&C was on 1/10/09...

The total cost was $8,841.03.  My total out of pocket was $672.39.

I hope this helps to give you an idea.

My insurance is BlueCross Blue Shield PPO.  (I also have the high plan...so it covers more).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"