Preemies

early preemies & teething

I was just curious about preemies and teething.  Our DS is a former 26-weeker.  He's only 2 months adjusted so I don't think he's teething yet, but he has suddenly started putting his hands in his mouth a LOT more.  I assumed this was just because he's found his thumb, but it just got me to thinking about preemies & teething.

I Googled but got some conflicting information.

What is your experience w/ teething?  Is it any different than a term baby as far as when the teething begins?  (as early as 4 months?)  I'm assuming it's based on adjusted age.

TIA!

Re: early preemies & teething

• jehprbjehprb member
    Teeth can come at any time and in any order - any ages or orders you read are just "the averages".  My 32wkr got his first tooth at 7 months adjusted but the full term baby of a friend of mine didn't get his first tooth until he was over a year.  It totally depends on the kid :-)
  • DD started showing signs of teething as early as 4 months (excessive drool, everything in her mouth, swollen gums fom time to time, etc.) ... and this went on FOREVER.  She didn't really seriously start getting teeth until 1 yr.  She is 18 months old now and has 8 teeth and is working on more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Teething is allover the place for all babies, term or not.

One theory I've heard, that Max seems to be proving, is that teething isn't as traumatic for preemies as for term babes... something about them having so much trauma early on, it's not as dramatic to cut a few teeth. We've been lucky... Max is still sleeping through the night and eating great,  even though his first FOUR teeth all came in at the same time!

• Robbie started showing signs of teething around 4 months adjusted.. and at about 6 months adj, you could see the whites of them.

He just broke two teeth in two days last week. He's 9 months adjusted.

• AidgeAidge member
    I have heard that preemies teeth come in later than term babies, even by adjusted age... but I do think it depends on the baby regardless. ?I have a friend whose full-termer had NO teeth until he was over 12 months old, and Sam now has 2 teeth at 11.5 months, 9 months adjusted. ?He has been drooling like a maniac since 4 months adjusted, though, and his hands and feet were always in his mouth. ?We seriously go through close to 10 soaking bibs a day- no joke!
  • DS was a 32 weeker and got his first teeth at 6.5 months actual age.  But he teethed for months before getting them.  He's now 16 months and has 10 teeth and is currently getting 11 and 12 in. 

And whoever said it's not as bad for preemies is crazy!  DS has had a terrible time cutting his teeth.

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to any of it.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • armoarmo member

my girls were drooling and chewing on stuff months before any teeth showed up.  my preemie twins are proof that teething age can really vary. One got hers at 7 months (2 teeth) adjusted, the other finally got hers at 10 1/2 months adjusted (the same 2 teeth), about 12 1/2 months actual age.

My guess is that it goes closer along with their adjusted age, and hopefully being a preemie doesn't affect oral health . . .

• DS started teething early, but didn't get his first tooth until his first bday.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"