Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&E side effects and Percocet

Hey guys,

I have posted on here a few times and you guys wanted me to keep you updated.  I had my Dialation on Thurs, and my D&E yesterday (FRiday).  You guys were right, the worst part is the emotional side.  I couldn't stop crying at the hospital.

Anyway, I have two questions.  My first is that I noticed my wrists and ankles were bothering me last night.  THey are swollen and felt like I had a watch on each wrist and bands on my ankles?  I have a friend who had a m/c and said her feet really bothered her afterwards to the point she had to miss work.  anyone else have anything similar?

Also, my dr wrote me a prescription for Percocet.  The pharmacy gave me generic.  Luckily my cramps are mild, but I am sleeping HORRIBLY, having bad dreams (expected) and my throat is KILLING ME (due to previous espohogus issues and having to put the tube down there).  I would think the drug would help with this, but it isn't.  My DH tried to go to the pharmacy to get the Percocet, but since I had taken ONE they told he they could not since it is a Class 2 narcotic.  Does anyone know if the generic and brand name are the same?
Thanks so much- you guys have been a blessing despite what is going on!

TIA-

Lauren

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: D&E side effects and Percocet

• it's 5am and i promised myself i wouldn't reply to any threads until it was morning and i was full conscious, but i remember asking you for this update and i'm glad you did. i'm glad to hear you got through the experience even though it sounds like it was pretty rough. i do not have any experience with the swelling... do you have high blood pressure? did you talk to your dr? could this be a side effect of the drug?

as far as the drugs go, ideally, generic and brand name are supposed to be the exact same... but that's not always precisely true. from what i understand, it's true that the active chemicals need to have the same composition, but as far as the "inactive" chemicals, like the type of vehicle (delivery system), as long as it has proven safe in previous studies, the composition can be different. so, to really simplify this, lets say the brand name of drug A has an orange coating, and the generic has a pink coating. even though the pink coating may be safe, it also may have some odd side effect... like it delivers the drug a little differently into your system, or your own body just doesn't handle pink as well as it would handle orange.

i'm not a pharmacist but i worked at a pharmeceutical company for a bit and in my limited experience, this is how it was explained to me. also, it may not be the generic that's bothering you... maybe it's the drug itself. there's a lot of good narcotics out there, maybe your dr just needs to switch you to something else.

try calling your doc... if you can't reach your OB, call your primary health care physician and they may be able to 1) track your ob down, or 2) hook you up with something else. i hope you feel better really soon!

• Percocet gives me bad dreams. You might want to try lortabs or something more mild.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have taken percocet for several different things over the years and always taken generics.  It is the same thing.  One good thing to percocet over others is that is doesn't seem to cause as much constipation which can make your cramps worse.  Good luck to you.
  • Hi there,

I did not have swelling of the hands and feet per se, but I had terrible soreness in my arms, legs and neck (as well as sore abs and minor cramping).  I wonder if it might be the way that they positioned your body during procedure.  In most surgeries, they need to "tie down" your hands and feet in some fashion, so maybe this has something to do with it?  If it doesn't go away in 24 hours, I would definitely call your doctor. 

I have always had the generic Percocet.  I take it very sparingly because oral narcotics upset my stomach across the board.  I was taking 600 mg of Motrin every 6 hours and that seemed to help.

I am so sorry that you had to go through this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"