Breastfeeding

Breastfeeding when you have breast implants

Question....i know it's a little early to be thinking about it since i'm only 5 weeks. But just wondering if anyone has had difficulties due to the implants.  I've had mine since 2005 but the feeling in my nipples never fully returned so they often feel sensitive/sore.  Thanks

Re: Breastfeeding when you have breast implants

• I don't have implants but I've had problems EBFing (low supply) and my dr. asked if I'd had any previous breast surgery (like implants/reduction) because it's common for women who have to not be able to EBF.
  • I have heard that it depends on how they were put in, scar tissue effects it.  It is possible though!
  • Loading the player...
  • It's funny because before I got pregnant I was so against breastfeeding but now that I'm pregnant i have a different view on it.  I sure hope I'm able to breastfeed.  My implants were placed under the muscle.  hmmmm. I guess I have to wait and see.   Thanks for the feedback girls. Smile
  • I have implants and I haven't had any problem at all.  Mine were put in through my armpit and they are under the muscle.  I actually have an abundance of milk and I am exclusively breast feeding.  I've heard that if the implants are over the muscle than there can be problems feeding.  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine are under the muscle and I haven't had any problems with production.  I think my supply is lower than DS needs because I had to supplement and I'm pumping, not b/c of the implants, but I don't know.
  • It depends where the incision was placed. Armpit or mammary crease generally have a much lower rate of problems than areolar. I have an arealor incision, and have had no problems BFing whatsoever. I pumped and pumped and pumped and pumped and pumped and pumped the first 2 weeks to ensure a good supply, and it must have worked, b/c I have been BFing pretty much exclusively since week 2 (we supplement with formula at night sometimes so Mommy can get some sleep...). I was REALLY worried about being able to BF since I have the nipple incision, but I'm very blessed that it's gone just fine.
  • I got impants in 2000 & was able to breastfeed DD for a full year. I wish you the best!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"