Breastfeeding

questions about storing milk

Baby is almost 5 weeks.  I've been pumping just enough each day for one supplemental bottle overnught, but I want to start pumping more for a freezer stash.  The most I've ever pumped is 3 oz at one session.  When I freeze, do I just freeze each pumping session's quantity in a separate bag ... or can I combine a day's worth of pumping into one bag?  I know you can only combine refrigerated milk, so I thought I'd keep the bag in fridge, add to it all day, then put it in freezer.  When I go to thaw it down the road, I could make into smaller bottles.  Or is it best to just store smaller quantities?

Re: questions about storing milk

• CA2006CA2006 member
    You can definitely do what you are talking about doing. Just always label by the date the first milk was collected.  I always froze in 4 and 2 oz. quantities.  DS usually took 4 oz. and, if he didn't, I woudl put it back in the fridge for his next feeding.  2 oz. bags are good for when they start eating more.  You shoudl figure out what your DC is eating and freeze in that quantity and smaller.  Larger is a waste. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do the same thing and I've done mostly 4 oz bottles.  Today, instead of freezing 4 oz with the milk from today and yesterday I froze a bunch of 2 and 1 in case he is still hungry after the 4 oz.  We'll see if we need it.  If not, we can combine them and make a 4 oz:)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I freeze 1.5-3.5oz in each bag so that I just have to thaw what I need.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"