Birth Stories
Options

lulabelle's birth story - 3 weeks early! :)

MAY 19th, 2009:

my water broke at 145 am (i woke up in a nice warm pee-like puddle).  nice, huh?  lol.  i said, "ummm... kev... i think my water just broke."  and he, still half asleep mumbled, "no, no, no, your fine.  no. no."  so i got up and waddled into the bathroom and sat on the toilet and started saying, "oh my god, oh my god."  this is the point where he decided he better get up and see what the heck was going on.  he walked into the bathroom and looked at me and said, "well, maybe nora just punched you really hard in the bladder and made you pee."  there i was, sitting on the toilet, water, no make that amniotic fluid leaking out of me, and he tells me i peed my pants due to a swift jab from the baby.  so i roll my eyes, look at him and said, "do you hear that?"  (sidenote:  it was the obvious leaking water sound into the toilet... it sounded like i was peeing.)  then i said, "ummm, yah, i'm not peeing kevin.  i know when i'm peeing and i'm not peeing now."  then i said, "we need to go to the hospital."  he goes, "well don't you think we should call someone?"  i said, "oh, right.  good plan.  mmkay."  so i called the hospital and they told me to come in to get checked.  get this... i hadn't even packed my bag!  in fact - i called the doctor's office on monday (may 18th) after my internal because i was bleeding pretty good and my nurse said, "well, i'm sure it's just from your internal today - but you do have your bag packed, right?"  to which i replied... "ummm... not yet - but i will."  she goes, "well, pack your bag either way."  hahaha.  so here i am - 2:00 in the morning walking around my house leaking all over the place packing my bag.  sooo me.

i guess i left out the part where i had my doctor appointment on monday, may 18th (where i was 37 weeks 2 days) and they told me that i tested positive for group b strep and that i needed to come into the hospital earlier than we had originally planned.  i wanted to labor at home as long as possible.  talk about timing... my water broke that night!  so we went in immediately - and i'm glad i did because my labor suite had a jet tub and it was amazing!  i spent a good 3 or 4 hours in there.

so we get to the hospital and they did the check for amniotic fluid - that was positive.  i hadn't felt any contractions by the time we came to the hospital and my water broke around 1:45am - we got there at 3:15 and still nothing.  we got into a labor room and still had no contractions so they started pitocin around 430am.  i took a little nap - except not really because i was too anxious - and contractions finally started going around 900am.  i got into the tub about 1030 and stayed there until a little after 100pm.  i wish i could have done a water birth - the water really helped.  but by 130 - i was dying.  i was only to a 3 and fully effaced but i still was in serious pain.  my birth plan was to wait as long as possible to get the epi and get it if i needed it.  well - i needed it.  :)  so i got it about 200pm.  when the anaesthesiologist came in he said, "mmkay, you are going to feel a tingling down one leg or the other"  i didn't care - i just wanted relief!  LOL!  but about that time the tingling (and shooting pain he forgot to mention) ran down my right leg and my reflex kicked and i seriously missed DH's head by a couple inches.  i just about knocked him out.  hahaha.  anyway - the epi was two parts - the initial shot that worked immediately and then the epi that would work in an hour-ish.  well - the initial shot was amazing.  absolutely amazing.  and it took out the pain.  in fact - just when i thought i would die from the labor pain (haha) it kicked in and i could no longer feel the pain.  DH even took these goofy pictures of me with two thumbs up in the middle of my labor.  silly.  well - the relief ended up only lasting about 40 minutes and i started feeling contractions again.  boooo.  so at about 240 my nurse (who i was abusing... ack...) said well maybe i should check you.  and she did.  and she said, "ummm, i think i better grab someone else to confirm - but i think you are at a 9."  so she grabbed my doctor (another sidenote:  my doctor, who was not on-call, just happened to be in labor and delivery because she had a scheduled c-section at 330pm - how cool is that?)  so my doctor came in and checked me and said, "mmkay, let's start pushing!"  i was floored - i went from a 3 to a 9 in less than an hour.  so at 300pm i started pushing and i was so far ahead of my epi i felt everything.  i'm so thankful to have had that 40 minute break - it made all the difference.  in fact - even though i know it didn't work - i would do it the same again and get it.  or maybe just ask for that initial shot of whatever it was.  so i pushed for 46 minutes and my little nora bird was born.  not going to lie guys, that part hurt so bad - oh lord. :)  i think the worst part for me was DH and my nurse pushing my legs wayyyy back during contractions.  that mother-loving HURT! 

i was in labor and delivery about 3 months ago for one of my friends baby's birth and there was this crazy lady down the hall from her room screaming like a maniac - scared me half to death.  wellllll... after i assured myself it couldn't possibly be that bad - that crazy banshee screaming lady was me.  hahaha.  i actually felt really bad about it later.  i told my nurse to tell the rest of the girls in labor and delivery i was just kidding.  :)  hahaha. 

just as nora was coming out my doctor said, "mckenzie - listen to me.  focus.  look down right now.  right now!"  and i was like, "huuuhhh?"  and i looked down just to see her come out and then be put on my chest.  amazing you guys.  absolutely amazing.  i have no words to describe it.  i can't wait for all of you to have your babies too so i don't even have to try to describe it. :)

over all - i was in real labor for like 6 or 7 hours - and only about 4 of them were tough.  i had a really easy labor i think. :)  i'd do it again in a second.  nora is amazing. :)  she's so beautiful too - she's got a full head of her daddy's blond hair and blue eyes.  i didn't realize i could love something (or i guess someone) so quickly and so much!  i thought i was attached while i was pregnant... HA! :)  now i know. :)  lol.

thats it! :)  i miss you guys!  i'm too busy being a mommy right now for bumping.  and breastfeeding is going well too.  whoo hoo.

happy birthing to all of you! :)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

{forever remembered and missed my sweet babe}

*m/c 10/10/10 - 7w0d*

Re: lulabelle's birth story - 3 weeks early! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"