D.C. Area Babies
Options

Childbirth/childcare classes?

I'm sorry, I may have actually asked this question before, but can't remember the responses! Did you take childbirth/childcare classes? How far along were you when you took them? What about the maternity tour? Infant CPR? 

What did you find most useful? I've just started looking into courses at the hospital I'll be at (Inova Fairfax), but it seems I'm behind the curve on this, as the only courses offered now seem to be towards the end of the pregnancy (the childbirth class we could do would end 2 weeks before my due date, unless we do the "express" one-day course).

Thanks for any info you can share!

Re: Childbirth/childcare classes?

• Options
    I took my classes at Shady Grove.  Our childbirth/care class I started around 28 weeks.  It was really useful, but I have to admit that when my water broke at 32 weeks, I completely drew a blank about what I needed to do.  We also took infant CPR, but that was a requirement of the NICU b/c DS was coming home on an apnea monitor.  Before discharge, we also took another preemie care class.  Definitely take a maternity tour.  I also recommend that if your OB admits to another hospital as well as INOVA Fairfax, take a tour of that one if you have time.  We were suppose to deliver at Shady Grove, but when I called the OB in the middle of the night when my water broke, she told us to go to Holy Cross.  It freaked me out b/c I had prepared myself for SG and didn't know anything about HC.  We didn't even know how to get there.
  • Options
    I'm delivering at Inova Fairfax. ?Well, that's the plan anyway. ?I'm signed up for the courses in June but I see your point about you maybe being too late. ?I'm signed up for the tour, the childbirth classes, and a breastfeeding class in July. ?There are other Inova hospitals that may give you other options but may be a bit of a further drive.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I took the following four classes at Holy Cross Hospital: Childbirth/Lamaze Class (around 25 weeks), Infant CPR (at 32 weeks), Hospital Tour (at 33 weeks), Infant Care (35-36 weeks).

I thought all of them were very helpful and I definitely think it was worth the time and money for us. If you can't do everything that you want to, I would say to definitely do the hospital tour (this will help you know what to expect when you go in) and do the childbirth class if you can.

One of the primary benefits for me with the classes is that it helped to prepare DH. I have read tons of books, been on the message boards, and talked to a lot of friends but he has not had any of these preparations. So, I think that by going to the classes, it made him feel more empowered and helped him know what his role will be in the process of childbirth and infant care. It also generated a lot of good conversation between the two of us about how we would handle things. With that being said, there are many people who don't do any classes and they do just fine.

And as an FYI - some insurance companies will reimburse you for childbirth classes. If the insurance company doesn't reimburse you, you can then submit it to FSA so that at least it's pre-tax.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

we only did the maternity tour and first aid/cpr. we both read books and I had taken an emergency responder class a few years ago that went in-depth about childbirth. while I was in the hospital if we had questions the nurses and doctors were willing to answer anything about what was happening or going to happen.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I don't think two weeks before your due date is all that late.  For me, between all the other baby prep stuff, getting work wrapped up, and pregnancy brain, there's no way I would have retained the class material for long. 
  • Options
    We did the one day-one through Inova and found it really helpful.  We also took Baby Care and Breastfeeding class (I think those were just one time for three hours maybe) and DH and I found all of it very helpful.
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"