High-Risk Pregnancy

I think I'm officially high risk

My baby has been on the smaller side since 24 weeks.  She's measuring in the 20th percentile for growth and is about 2 weeks behind.  I've been receiving weekly ultrasounds to check her out.  Yesterday was my last U/S, and my fluid levels decreased to 9 point something.  They want fluids at 10 or higher.  So, they put me on bedrest.  I go back to the doctor for another check Tuesday.  If my fluids aren't back up, I don't know what will happen.  I think/fear they may admit me to the hospital.  I'm also afraid that they may have to deliver my baby early, and I'm only at 32 weeks, she's at 30 weeks.  I'm really scared, but trying not to think about the worst case scenario. 

I know I'm supposed to be in bed, but I'm sitting at the computer working.  I need to get some work done.  I won't be on all day, but I need to get some stuff done.  I know, I'm being irresponsible. Flame me if you will.

I have so many questions for my doctor.  Can I fix myself food--not a 6 course gourmet meal but something simple?  Can I feed myself or am I really relegated to the bed until Tuesday?  This sucks.  DH can't help out.  He's OOT for a week.  Ugh. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I think I'm officially high risk

• i'm sorry you're having a tough time. Sad

i had DS at 32w6d (after a bunch of bedrest, ending in hospital bedrest) and at almost 6 months, he's absolutely perfect. he was mainly a feeder/grower and spent 26 days in the NICU. he's completely caught up in height/weight and developmental milestones.

as for measuring small, from what i hear, while measuring small isn't great, size isn't as important as gestational age. so while your LO may be measuring smaller than my LO was, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll be worse off!

and, one last example, one of my good friends was pregnant, diagnosed with pre-e before 20w, the baby was measuring small, and then her fluid dropped to around 8. with bedrest and drinking a TON of fluids, she got her fluid back up and was able to keep baby in until 39 weeks! she delivered a healthy baby boy at a respectable 7lbs, 4oz.

good luck and hang in there! i'll be thinking of you and hoping for a healthy baby girl!

• I'm sorry you are dealing with this:(

I think if your doc wanted you off your feet 100% of the time, he would put you in the hospital. I would assume you can fix yourself food, but something simple and then back to the couch or bed. When I was on home bedrest with my first DD, I was allowed to fix small meals, shower, and go to the bathroom. So just try and limit your activity as much as possible. And drink lots of fluids to keep your fluid as high as possible.

Do you have a laptop? If you can work on the couch or with your feet up, I think that would be ok.

Good luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • My fluids dropped from 14 to 8 in 10 days.  I'm going back in for another u/s this afternoon and praying that I'm not put on bedrest.  I've been downing water like there is no tomorrow.  Hopefully everything will work out for both of us!
  • I'd write down your questions and call the doctor.  You want to make sure you don't forget anything.  And I agree - if you don't have a laptop, now would be a good time to get one, especially if they can get one for you from work.

I'd say try to limit your activity as much as possible - keep snacks and drinks on hand near you, especially if you have to walk up and down stairs to get to them.  Can you get a cheap mini fridge to put by your bed so you can have drinks and things like fruit or cheese or something?

If you have a friend or neighbor you can call to come over and help out or bring you food (and keep you company!), that might help out a lot as well.  Plus it might help take your mind off things if you had someone to talk to.

• janjagjanjag member

what a stinker it is to get news like this.  BUT, i don't know that 30wks growth equals 30wks maturity.  if she's in the 20th %tile and has been about that since 24wks, then that might not be a bad thing at all.  just a smaller baby... i am guessing that as long as she's growing, things are ok. 

re. the fluid level, i am wondering if the dr. instructed you to drink a BUNCH of fluids.  try to get almost a gallon a day in.  yes, i know it's alot!  i add in a couple glasses of gatorade through the day to keep electrolytes balanced with all that water.  i don't have an issue with fluids, but twins require more liquids, plus i have been battling cx for a long time. 

forgive me for chastising you - but get your BUTT IN BED MISSY!!!  with your dh oot, it is time to call in the troops!  take advantage of any and all friends and family available. 

i've been doing this bedrest thing since 13 wks.  had 4 wks of modified bedrest between 19-23.  so i know how easy it is to do more than you're supposed to!  it is a slippery slope.  when you add up all the little things i was doing at home (fixing myself little things to eat, doing things on the computer, just general fussing around the house, it was too much ).  of course different circumstances, but i ended up in the hosp at 23wks, then home, then hosp at 28wks, now home...

here's a starter list for what people can bring, and make for you: 

you need someone to bring you a cooler (we're using a mini fridge), and people need to keep you stocked (next to your bed) with pb&j's, bagels & cream cheese, yogurt, individual cottage cheese, cut and/or washed fruit, baby carrots, grape tomatoes (really, any food that YOU like), and of course water.  ask for plastic spoons, napkins, a tray.

with your dh oot, you will likely have to get up enough without having to worry about the above stuff.  despite what you think, you do not need to get some stuff done!

good luck with baby's fluid... hope you can get some help at home!  KUP.

Photobucket Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"