Cincinnati Babies

Ikea for baby furniture?

I posted this on FB this morning and of course I can't read it here at work, duh.

Anyway, DH and I are contemplating going to Ikea this weekend specifically to look at baby furniture, but I don't want to drive all the way up there if there isn't a lot of selection.  We are looking for a dresser and maybe a changing table.  Any opinions on the selection/quality?

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
imageimage
imageimage
The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler

Re: Ikea for baby furniture?

• I thought they had a decent selection. We got Mya's furniture there for her new room. A nice size dresser, two tall bookshelves, another cabinet for toys, a shelf for the wall, and a little table with two chairs that all went together. On the cabinet you can get an addition to it for the changing table that goes on top. That is kind of nice because I am guessing you could take it off after the baby gets older and just use it as a dresser. They had that option on a few of the those. We spent about $550 for all the pieces so not too bad.   
  • Here's your FB discussion :)

I left out the names but you get the idea!

(mine) They have a lot of neat stuff, but most of the cribs are pretty low to the ground. We decided not to buy a crib there because I didn't want to be bending over so much. We did get some of his other stuff there, though.

it depends on your taste. I liked some of the accessories but not the cribs mostly because of what Jene said.

(mine) I do like their bedding and decorations, I forgot to mention that. They also have a nice selection of wooden toys.

The last time we went on the weekend it was HORRIBLE!!!! It was so packed! If you're able to go really early, like when they first open or on a weekday, I'd highly recommend it!

Ditto on the cribs but probably lot's of cool stuff for Justin. Check them out on-line before you go.

It is pretty good. You can look online and check in-store inventory also. That is where I ended up getting a toddler chair for the kitchen table for Brooke. She was not willing to use the high chair anymore and had to stand on the regular chairs and wouldn't use a booster.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Loading the player...
  • Just one thing to note... I don't know if all their dressers are like this, but we have gotten a small three drawer dresser there, as well as some bookcases, and all these things you have to anchor to the wall with some hardware they give you to make sure it's safe & doesn't topple over when all the drawers are open etc.  Just something that I didn't really like about getting furniture there. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePolarBerry:
    Just one thing to note... I don't know if all their dressers are like this, but we have gotten a small three drawer dresser there, as well as some bookcases, and all these things you have to anchor to the wall with some hardware they give you to make sure it's safe & doesn't topple over when all the drawers are open etc.  Just something that I didn't really like about getting furniture there. 

I think technically you're supposed to do this with most furniture. Even when we bought our dresser from a "real" store it suggested hardware. Whether anyone actually does it is another issue. That said, we did anchor our super tall IKEA bookshelf in the office, because we have some pretty heavy books up there.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Good things to note.  I know my DH anchored DS's dresser to his wall already (and it's not Ikea).  Kids will do anything -- I wouldn't put it past mine to use the drawers for stairs to the top!
    Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • imagejerseygirl81:

imagePolarBerry:
    Just one thing to note... I don't know if all their dressers are like this, but we have gotten a small three drawer dresser there, as well as some bookcases, and all these things you have to anchor to the wall with some hardware they give you to make sure it's safe & doesn't topple over when all the drawers are open etc.  Just something that I didn't really like about getting furniture there. 

I think technically you're supposed to do this with most furniture. Even when we bought our dresser from a "real" store it suggested hardware. Whether anyone actually does it is another issue. That said, we did anchor our super tall IKEA bookshelf in the office, because we have some pretty heavy books up there.

I agree.  Ikea is actually being more responsible than most companies by providing the hardware.

We bought the Lesvik dresser for Allison--the normal one, not the one in the baby area with the changing table.  It's the perfect size to put a changing pad on top without being "baby" furniture.

I agree with everyone else that the cribs weren't impressive.  They also seemed a little smaller than normal cribs, but maybe that was just because the store is so massive?

• imagejerseygirl81:

(mine) They have a lot of neat stuff, but most of the cribs are pretty low to the ground. We decided not to buy a crib there because I didn't want to be bending over so much. We did get some of his other stuff there, though.

it depends on your taste. I liked some of the accessories but not the cribs mostly because of what Jene said.

Ditto on the cribs but probably lot's of cool stuff for Justin. Check them out on-line before you go.

I looked into getting an IKEA crib and decided not to for a few reasons.  They are not standard sized, they are only off by about 3/4 of an inch but that means you should probably buy sheets from IKEA and the matress.  I know lots of people including myself are fairly picky about getting a certain matress.  Also, I read that even when you buy the IKEA matress there is about a 1 inch gap around all sides to allow for a bumper pad, which I don't plan to use.  Anyway, I have purchased other items from IKEA and would recommend them.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"