Special Needs

Has anyone ever started a SN playgroup in their area?

I'm thinking of starting a SN playgroup in my area, b/c J does not fit in with the current playgroup that we are a part of. He has sensory integration disorder and is being evaluated starting next week by a developmental pediatrician for autism. The current playgroup is too stressful for him and I always feel like the odd parent out. There's another mom in our mom's group that has an autistic son, and she stopped coming to playgroups probably for the same reasons we stopped, so I think having a playgroup specifically for our kids would be nice. It would be a relief to be around other parents who understand our kids and won't pass judgement on them or their behaviors.

My only problem is that I have no idea where to start. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Nia, Mom to Jayden Michael, Born 12/04/06, Adopted 12/07/06
And Elias Parker, Born 3.5 weeks early 12/20/2011 image
FINALLY!!! After 7 years of infertility! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Has anyone ever started a SN playgroup in their area?

• We have a down syndrome support group we joined here and they do a playgroup with it. The mom that started it did it through our ds association. Maybe you can find a support group for autism in you area and get with the parents and discuss starting a playgroup. Thats what she did. Good luck with it, I think its a great idea.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Do you  have an Easter Seals office in your area?   They will probably be able to pass out fliers and get the word out to other families for you?  Also, maybe post a few fliers around your peds office?  Just a thought.
  • Loading the player...
  • In my area, Early Intervention has playgroups specifically for kids in the program. There is an OT and PT there but they aren't working with the kids, they're just there to coordinate and supervise. We haven't been since it's while I'm at work, but it sounds like a great resource.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Auntie, I sent her an email earlier today and I'm waiting to hear back from her.

I agree with the points that you made in your reply. In fact, the mom that I know, her son and Jayden are completely opposite of each other. He is 100% nonverbal and very reserved, whereas Jayden can say some words, but lacks expressive language, and his behavior is at times out of control. So I can see how this would cause an issue, especially if there are some judgemental parents who join the group. It's something I will have to consider when getting a group together. I've checked all over and there is no autism support group in our area, unfortunately =(

• https://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=louisiana,+autism&sort=relevance

I did a search on yahoo health groups, and there are a couple online communities that MIGHT fit. Maybe look there and see what you find?? Just a thought. I love my local Yahoo Autism board. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks Breezy. I'm not in Louisiana at the moment. We don't move back until the end of this year. There is an autism support group on yahoo for MS, but not relatively close to my area.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"