Houston Babies

whats the hardest time of day for you?

for us, it's from when she wakes up from her afternoon nap (4/430ish) until Josh gets home (6ish.)   She's generally borderline grumpy and I'm tired and we both just can't wait for Josh to get home.

(Which is why on days like today when he tells me he has some stupid reception after work that he's known about for ages and just now remembers to tell me I get really peeved.)

(I wish there was a bar for moms to take their babies to for happy hour.)

Re: whats the hardest time of day for you?

• Mine is the exact same as yours!
  • mom2llmom2ll member
    4-6 PM...  waiting for daddy to come home....  It feels like 10 hours...  I watch the clock....  and we resort to The Wiggles....  He's a real bear...
  • Loading the player...
  • The last half of the afternoon, about 3ish to 6ish.  The minutes feel like hours and by 5 pm I'm just done.  They don't call it the witching hour for nothin'!!!

• Mine's a little later - usually from 6-9pm.  That's the time I am trying to get him to go down to bed, but he doesn't want anything to do with it!  Thankfully DH is home by then, but he get frustrated a lot quicker than me b/c I have at least seen him happy earlier in the day, so we switch off a lot during that time.
  • same. i think it's a big psychological- like i know DH coming home is the next big step in our day and  just want it to get here. when he is OOT or something similar (dinners for work,e tc) it's not nearly as bad b/c i am not expecting him.
  • Dropping him off at school, for sure. During the weekends, we don't really have a hard time of the day. He is fun and energetic all morning and takes one nap for about 2.5 hours in the middle of the day (11:30 to 2 ish) and that is enough to keep him chipper and happy until bedtime, which is around 730 or 8.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hands down, bedtime is the hardest for me.  Starting with the bath, they get so hyper, and they turn into little terrors, not listening to a word I say.  They splash me while I'm bathing them, then love being naked, so after the bath they run up and down the hallway, which usually results in one or both getting hurt.  I try to separate them to get them dressed and calmed down, but whomever's room I'm in, the other one keeps coming in and getting the other one riled up again.  THEN when it's story time, if I try to read to one at a time, that doesn't work either, but if I read to them simultaneously they don't listen and play around instead.  I have threatened "no books" a lot, and sometimes it works.  But if it doesn't, it's even harder to get them to go to sleep once they're in bed, because they haven't had the wind-down time.

Of course when DH is actually home to help, this doesn't happen because we can divide and conquer.  But when I'm by myself, which is most of the time, uuuuugggghhhh.  I hate it, because bedtime is supposed to be this quiet, snuggley, together time, and it's SO not in this household.

• imageNanner:

Hands down, bedtime is the hardest for me.  Starting with the bath, they get so hyper, and they turn into little terrors, not listening to a word I say.  They splash me while I'm bathing them, then love being naked, so after the bath they run up and down the hallway, which usually results in one or both getting hurt.  I try to separate them to get them dressed and calmed down, but whomever's room I'm in, the other one keeps coming in and getting the other one riled up again.  THEN when it's story time, if I try to read to one at a time, that doesn't work either, but if I read to them simultaneously they don't listen and play around instead.  I have threatened "no books" a lot, and sometimes it works.  But if it doesn't, it's even harder to get them to go to sleep once they're in bed, because they haven't had the wind-down time.

Of course when DH is actually home to help, this doesn't happen because we can divide and conquer.  But when I'm by myself, which is most of the time, uuuuugggghhhh.  I hate it, because bedtime is supposed to be this quiet, snuggley, together time, and it's SO not in this household.

Phew...Nanner that DOES sound stressful!!! Cheers to you for doing it on your own when DH is gone.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • janelynjanelyn member
    Between 6 - 6:30pm when she starts giving me cues she's ready for bed. She's fussy and grumpy which doesn't help the "mommy guilt" that starts setting in because I feel I don't spend enough time with her during the week.
  • Janelyn, your baby is gorgeous.
  • imageBettyJoe:
    Janelyn, your baby is gorgeous.

I was thinking the same thing.  What a pretty baby!

• janelynjanelyn member
    imageKKMMex:

imageBettyJoe:
    Janelyn, your baby is gorgeous.

I was thinking the same thing.  What a pretty baby!

AWWW - thanks ladies! Embarrassed

• Today right now because the little fool will not lay down.  Usually it is when I am making dinner and DH is less than helpful. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Same time for me. ?I have two kids by myself from 4:15ish - 6:00ish. ?Though even after DH gets home it's usually crazy trying to get Orion to sit down for dinner and then go to bed. ?
  • It's a toss up beween the 4-6 stretch when I'm exhuasted and he is holding out for dinner and bedtime and 7p-10 or 11p which SHOULD be my favorite part of the day except my DH is gone so often.  I come downstairs, take care of the nightly dog and cat duties, grab dinner and stare at the wall/watch TV/read  until I can fall asleep.  I should be used to it after so many years travelling solo, but I'll never get used to this.  I guess even when taking care of DS is so demanding, at least I have my little buddy to hang out with.  Once he's asleep, it's lonely.  A bubble bath always makes it better though.

Perhaps we should institute a BOTB happy hour :) 

• imagerayskit10:
    same. i think it's a big psychological- like i know DH coming home is the next big step in our day and  just want it to get here. when he is OOT or something similar (dinners for work,e tc) it's not nearly as bad b/c i am not expecting him.

it's funny because I tend to do better during DS's waking hours when DH is away too.  I suppose because I know I won't have the help so I'm prepared to go it alone.  Weird.

• For me it's when DH actually gets home.  It's DS's crankiest time of day and I know DH just wants to have a nice evening but it usually turns into madness.  I hate it too because DS is overall a very happy baby and I hate that DH misses out on that time some days.  Lately we have been doing better with DS's afternoon naps and our evenings have been better.  (knock on wood)  My favorite time of the day is the morning when DS wakes up, eats and then is all smiles for a couple hours...melts my heart.  (our morning time is what what I will miss most when I go back to work.) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • even with DH home 24/7 I run out of patience at 5 o'clock. she's pretty much pulling my pants off wanting to be picked up, I'm trying to make dinner or do something and even if DH is helping, she wants me. Oddly when DH was working offshore 5 was still my out of patience time. Now he does all the bedtime stuff, so by 7 I'm done and can do what I please (or at least the laundry un-interupted).

Although when he was gone I was the opposite of ucalum, I loved post bedtime. I always had a bath, read a book and got to watch whatever I wanted on tv with no argument. I cherish my alone time. 

-Clare
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagekatieraye04:
      My favorite time of the day is the morning when DS wakes up, eats and then is all smiles for a couple hours...melts my heart.  (our morning time is what what I will miss most when I go back to work.) 

Ditto this to a T!

• Same as most everyone else, although my DH doesn't get home until 7 most nights. So my hard time is about 5-7. I've run out of ways to entertain her. I usually dread feeding her dinner since she never wants to eat this meal for some reason. Then I give her a bath which isn't too bad, except the whole diaper/PJs routine is now a nightmare. I hand her off to DH right when he gets home and then I escape to the study to eat dinner and play on the computer. DH puts her to sleep every night but I can't be in the same room or else she just wants me.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • 5-8:30 - Reagan is fine but this is Abby's cranky time. She does not want to be put down during this time which means making dinner is hard and we usually don't get to eat dinner together so we can hand her off. I can't wait for this period to end.
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"