Pennsylvania Babies

16wk apt. - good & bad

I went for my 16wk apt yesterday and left with mixed emotions...1st I was really excited because I got to hear the baby's HB. Smile Nice and strong and the dr. didn't have any trouble picking it up right away. (Didn't get to hear it at my 12wk apt.) THEN, she proceeded to tell me that she suggests I start weekly progesterone injections Sad DD#1 was born 6wks early and we never knew why - no complications or problems, she just came early. Anyway, they want me to do the progesterone shots to help prevent preterm labor since I'm at risk. I'm just not sure what to do... my thinking is if they don't know what caused it to happen before, how do they know that this is the answer to keep it from happening again? I have 4 wks to decide what I want to do, so for now I guess I'll start doing some research.  

Re: 16wk apt. - good & bad

• I'm glad you got to hear a good strong heartbeat! 

I was on progesterone injections twice a week from week 5 up until week 27 because my progesterone was on the low side plus I had a miscarriage (suspected low progesterone).  I know how you feel and the shots really aren't bad at all.  I got so used to them that it was just a part of my routine...my butt got numb and I didn't feel it anymore when they would give me the shot.  I've done a lot of research on progesterone as well and pretty much from what I've read, it isn't going to hurt anything.  My baby is doing well and very healthy after being on it for 22 weeks. Trust your doctor that this is the right thing to do.   

Good luck!

• Thanks Lesli. My sister also had to take progesterone (for the first 13wks) of her pregnancy due to m/c. I guess this just threw me off because I've heard of people needing it in the beginning, but not at the end. I'm glad things have gone well for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am glad that you got to hear the heart beat... that was always the best sound in the whole wide world to me!  I am sorry that you may have to take the shots.... I really don't know too much about them, I would do my research too but as I am sure you feel the same way... I would do anything to prevent any more of my kids from arriving early!  Best wishes!  You might also want to check over on the preemie board to see if any of the women over there have had those shots
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"