Secondary IF

Baby Name stealers!

I know that this is a lame post!

Ok, so we are big secret keepers when it come to naming babies! We are not going to find out the gender, but I have a girls name picked for a LONG time! I love it, and one day I let it slip to a good friend while I was pg  with Nolan. Come to find, she is having a little girl in Aug, and is using that name. . . . . I know that it is her choice, but would it be awful to use the same name if we happen to have a girl? I like the name because it is classy, beautiful, and not totally common. She is a good friend of mine, but I think that this move is showing a little competitiveness from her.

Maybe I am the only one with issues in this equation. 

Re: Baby Name stealers!

• I see no issue... she knows you have always loved the name so use it!  BTW what is it... I'm dying to know!!!!
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • OK, I can tell you on here! Nora! I love it, but I am worried it is becoming too popular!

We liked Gavin for a boy, but that is getting very common! I love it, but I want to have a baby name that is not in the top 50-75 of names!

• Loading the player...
  • I would still use it.  If you like it and your DH  likes it you should keep it.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • If it is just her being competitive then that is just plain pathetic.  What a way to make friends and influence people.  Could be she just heard it from you and fell in love with it and figured the chances of you having a girl were at best 50/50 and went with it.  It's a lovely name.  I would use it anyway if you and your DH like it.   It's not awful. 

A good friend of mine named her DD Kate and she fought long and hard for it because her DH didn't like it.   DH and I have loved the name Catherine ( nn probably Kate ) since before we knew DS was a boy and we plan to use it regardless of who else has it if we ever have a girl. 

• Love the name! ?I would still use it if you love it and not worry about what your friend has to say about it.

I had a very similar situation. ?I told a 'friend' that I loved the name Amelia Grace and was planning on using it for our first girl when we were discussing girl names. ?This was before Amelia became a little more common. ?Anyways, since then they have decided that that exact name is their fav and they will be using it and the same nickname Mia. ?I figured, okay there will just be two Mias no biggie. ?However, they conveniently forgot that I told them that was my fav name and got pretty angry when I brought it up again. ?I tried to make a joke that there would be two cute little Mias running around. ?No dice. ?I was told that it was a race to see who could get there fastest (nice thing to say to someone in their 2nd year of IF treatments) and they would get the name. ?Uh really?!!? ?Anyways, they 'won' and have a little girl. ?We were blessed with a wonderful little boy so the name thing will live to see another day. ?

However, I am not sure if we will use the name if we ever have a little girl. ?I won't make the decision based on them, but more likely how I feel about the name when/if the time comes.

Nothing to see here....
  • imageJosiPeaches:

If it is just her being competitive then that is just plain pathetic.? What a way to make friends and influence people.? Could be she just heard it from you and fell in love?with it and figured the chances of you having a girl were at best 50/50 and went with it.? It's a lovely name.? I would use it anyway if you and your DH like it.?? It's not awful.?

A good friend of mine named her DD Kate and she fought long and hard for it because her DH didn't like it. ??DH and I have loved the name Catherine ( nn probably Kate )?since before we knew DS was a boy and we plan to use it regardless of who else has it if we ever have a girl.?

?

?

I love the name Catherine! ?I have always wanted to use it too, but wasn't sure what to use for a nn. ?I do like Kate, but didn't want to spell it Katherine and wasn't sure if it was 'okay' to spell it Catherine and use Kate. ?Are you still going to spell it Catherine? ?I know, this is totally stupid of me...

Nothing to see here....
  • Tonya_GTonya_G member
    imageABC-123:

Love the name!  I would still use it if you love it and not worry about what your friend has to say about it.

I had a very similar situation.  I told a 'friend' that I loved the name Amelia Grace and was planning on using it for our first girl when we were discussing girl names.  This was before Amelia became a little more common.  Anyways, since then they have decided that that exact name is their fav and they will be using it and the same nickname Mia.  I figured, okay there will just be two Mias no biggie.  However, they conveniently forgot that I told them that was my fav name and got pretty angry when I brought it up again.  I tried to make a joke that there would be two cute little Mias running around.  No dice.  I was told that it was a race to see who could get there fastest (nice thing to say to someone in their 2nd year of IF treatments) and they would get the name.  Uh really?!!?  Anyways, they 'won' and have a little girl.  We were blessed with a wonderful little boy so the name thing will live to see another day.  

However, I am not sure if we will use the name if we ever have a little girl.  I won't make the decision based on them, but more likely how I feel about the name when/if the time comes.

I hope they aren't still your friends after that comment... seriously, WTF. And why can't some people come up with their own damn names??! I'd name my baby girl Amelia just to spite them.. hehe

• this friend knew we were trying for #2 when they started thinking about #1. She actually told me to "see who would get pg first" Um, that is like asking someone in a wheelchair to race. I will get there, but probably not before you!
  • This is seriously one of the biggest reasons why i won't tell my names...(along with numerous rude comments that i have endured).

I say name the baby what you want. ?I would just tell them it is what it is. There is no race and no set of rules.. ?It was your choice long ago and it still is now.

Like pp said, if i still liked the name, i would name them that and not care one bit. ? And who cares if they have a hissy fit....because deep down they "know" they stole the name.

ABC....i can't even believe those friends!

For my first pg i just lied to people and told them we had no idea or gave them some contenders....but not the serious ones. That way i didn't have to hear the boo hoos of our secrecy.

• imageABC-123:
    imageJosiPeaches:

If it is just her being competitive then that is just plain pathetic.  What a way to make friends and influence people.  Could be she just heard it from you and fell in love with it and figured the chances of you having a girl were at best 50/50 and went with it.  It's a lovely name.  I would use it anyway if you and your DH like it.   It's not awful. 

A good friend of mine named her DD Kate and she fought long and hard for it because her DH didn't like it.   DH and I have loved the name Catherine ( nn probably Kate ) since before we knew DS was a boy and we plan to use it regardless of who else has it if we ever have a girl. 

I love the name Catherine!  I have always wanted to use it too, but wasn't sure what to use for a nn.  I do like Kate, but didn't want to spell it Katherine and wasn't sure if it was 'okay' to spell it Catherine and use Kate.  Are you still going to spell it Catherine?  I know, this is totally stupid of me...

Yup Catherine with a 'C' and Kate as a nn.  I am not a huge fan of nn's myself.  I figure if you give your kid a name you should call it that KWIM?  So I will call her Catherine,  but I have a feeling that Kate would come out at some point and I am okay with that one. 

• imagefirsttogo:

OK, I can tell you on here! Nora! I love it, but I am worried it is becoming too popular!

We liked Gavin for a boy, but that is getting very common! I love it, but I want to have a baby name that is not in the top 50-75 of names!

I love both names...they are adorable!! And I know what you mean about names being popular. When we picked Brady we didnt realize how popular it was getting. And speaking of name stealers, we are going with Nolan for this baby, which is also getting quite popular. But we cant agree on anything else, so Nolan it is!! :o)

• Well... ?The couple aren't really my friends. ?The H is one of DH's best friends and I guess I sorta need to be 'friends' with the wife since we tend to see each other a lot. ?Yes, it was the H that told me the 'race' comment. ?I couldn't believe it. ?If it were up to me, I would phase out these friends or at least have a heart-to-heart with them about their comments and competitiveness, but I don't see it is my place. ?This is just one of many things that they have said or done that has hurt me and DH... ?I am still not sure why he wants to maintain a friendship. ?Oh well. ?I have learned to let it go and just to tell the stories after the fact.

?Also, I love the names Nolan & Gavin. ?We have thought about Gavin (and Nolan) for a future DS's name. ?A very cute boy in my HS was named Nolan. ?I had a crush on him...

Nothing to see here....
  • imagefirsttogo:
    this friend knew we were trying for #2 when they started thinking about #1. She actually told me to "see who would get pg first" Um, that is like asking someone in a wheelchair to race. I will get there, but probably not before you!

People suck sometimes.?

Nothing to see here....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"