Orange County Babies

Hospital Bag - What to pack?

Sorry, I know this has been asked before.  I thought I bookmarked the thread, but I guess not.

So anyways, what were your "must haves" for the hospital? 

What about things you brought but didnt have a use for?

Also, what kind of pj's do you reccommend for my hospital stay? 

I'll be delivering at Hoag if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Re: Hospital Bag - What to pack?

• chapstick, coins for vending machine (for the hubs), slippers (i just bought cheap-o ones from target in which i plan to wear in the hospital and just trash on my way out), pads (they give you elephant sized ones-ick), hair ties, shampoo and body wash

btw you're 35 weeks? ?wow you're almost there! ?i always like to warn people to have everything ready a month ahead as ryan came unexpected at 36 weeks and it was a complete scramble!?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ooooh!  You're getting close!

As far as pj's, I brought a pajama type gown (think old lady) but one that was easy to get down in the top to nurse.  They come in and check you down there a lot so that's why I didn't bring anything with pants or a bottom.  Also, you have a pad on the size of Texas that you'll need to accomodate too!  Smile

• Loading the player...
  • I brought comfy PJ pants and a nursing tank.  The pants were huge and elastic waist, so they were easy to get on an off for check and for the HUGE pads.  I wore my rainbows when I was up moving around, and bring a zip up sweatshirt - it can get chilly. 

Also, someone told me this and it was the best advice - take some of the mesh undies home with you.  They are so weird, but in the beginning when you are home and you are still bleeding and using the big pads they are a lifesaver.

Good luck!  And you will love Hoag - it is the best!

• imageCrissyjo30:

Also, someone told me this and it was the best advice - take some of the mesh undies home with you.  They are so weird, but in the beginning when you are home and you are still bleeding and using the big pads they are a lifesaver.

Ditto this.  The mesh undies are the best.  Definitely put a bunch in your bag!

• the things that i recommend -

your own washcloths, pillow cases and towels. :)  i also needed my own sheets because my skin got so irritated by their sheets.  

good thick lotion (gold bond in the green bottle was a god send) and chapstick were key!

i had a c-section so i brought soft PJ bottoms that i could pull up high and comfy tank tops.  

• I was in the hospital for 3 weeks so I prob needed a lot more then most people would, but here is my list.

Shampoo, conditioner, razor, soap, lotion, chap stick, deodorant, slippers or flip flops, comfy PJ's, pillow, hair clips and rubber bands, snacks, magazines, camera, cell phone. I think that's everything. I wore my hospital gown a lot after I had DS because I had to pump and they had to check my C-section incision and it was just easier to go to the bathroom too.

• I had a c-section as well, and I honestly never changed out of the hospital gowns that they give you.  I wasn't packed yet when my water broke, but here is what hubs had to bring for me: lip balm, toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, slippers, my own pillow, books, magazines, ipod, speakers, camera, cell phone. . . ponytail holders.  Oh and I needed new nursing bras because none of my old ones fit, but I sent my mom out to Target to get some.  So that's a possibility.  He also brought me socks, but I never put them on.

Ditto on taking home some of those mesh panties.  Hopefully you won't end up with a c-section, but if you do, they are key for not irritated your incision.  And they are good otherwise for accomodating those big pads.  I also took some of those big pads home, as well as the waterproof liners they put underneath you when you sleep.

Sorry for rambling.  :-)

• I wish I had my boppy in the hospital.  Not sure if anyone mentioned cell phone and camera chargers.  Ipod speakers, baby book to jot stuff down - you forget by the time you get home.

The nice thing about Mission was we were by the mall, so whatever we forgot we could just go buy.

• I just bought some cute hospital gowns. My gf had 2 and used them the whole time. She didn't want the typical blue ones.

• I definitely wish I had my Boppy. When I nursed I had to have a pillow on each side, one in front, and one on my back.

DEFINITELY snag as much stuff from the hospital as possible. I asked for more mesh undies, pads, and Tucks to take home with me. Those were a huge help. It's pretty ugly down there for a while, so it's nice to not have to worry about getting blood on your own panties if you can wear the disposable mesh ones.

I just wore my hospital gown while I was there. The one full day we were there, I wore one of my nursing tanks, but no bottoms, and just had the gown over the top. The drs and nurses check you a lot down there so it's easier not to have anything on down there.

I'll have to think of some more tips.

• Oh yeah, it would have been SO GREAT to have had my boppy at the hospital.  Piling up all of those pillows was such a pain, and so much work trying to get them right.  And it set me down the wrong road -- when we got home, DH and I were trying to use pillows the same way when I was nursing instead of me using the boppy like I should have been.
  • Don't know what I will miss or won't need but here is what we packed (I'm soooo ready to meet her and get her out!), feel free to suggest if we overpacked:

1. Coming home outfit for baby and me. Mittens, booties and hat for baby.

2. Pjs for me and DH. Mine are grandma style. I got cheap ones at Target. I was told they can bloody so not to use my nice ones.

3. Socks and slippers.

3. Three changes of clothes for DH since he will be staying the entire time and we don't live near the hosp.

4. Shampoo, conditioner, body soap, chapstick, lotion, razor, deodorant, pads, toothbrushes and toothpaste, hair ties, hair straightner (I have coarse hair) and some make up. Prenatal vitamins (me) and allergy medications (dh).

5. Entertainment: Laptop- they have Wi-fi and we heard it can get boring (not sure how with a new baby but we are prepared). Magazines and books.

6. 1 pillow and 1 pillowcase, towel and bathrobe.

7. 2 Swaddle blankets. One to use while in hospital then giving it to our cats to get use her smell. The other to put in the car seat.

8. Phone tree list, cells phones, and camera. Did not think of chargers but on post it note now, thanks!!! 

9. Baby book - Give it to the nurses to get feet and hand prints.

10. Snacks, candy.

11. Trash bag to bring home gifts and Hoag's freebies  (mesh panties, newborn diapers..etc).

12. Cash - Hoag's gift shop, cafe' nor cafeteria accept plastic. There is an ATM machine near if you forget. Where are the vending machines at Hoag?

Most hospitals should have a breast friend (hospital version of boppy). Saddleback is only on request. They do not leave them in the rooms because they 'walk out.' I saw during the tour Hoag keeps them in each room in the closet surprise to hear those who deliver there didn't have them.

• I delivered at Hoag too just recently.

The one thing that I think you should get that no one tells you about is baby gloves. You can get them cheaply everywhere and Carter has nice ones on sale right now. Babies are born with nails and they can scratch themselves up pretty bad. The hospital tells you to file their nails down but doesn't give you files for liability reasons (i'm guessing). If you bring these, you'll be so glad you did. I bought them at the hospital and they weren't washed so I didn't use them, plus they cost $7 for a cheap pair. At Carters they are $1.99 for 3 really nice pairs right now. I bought a ton, because with a newborn they are helpful, nails grow like crazy! We are trimming nails every other day.

Also, if you are having a c-section like I did, it's wise to bring 5-6 pajamas for the baby. I only brought one outfit and had to have family bring more. With all the feeding, changing, pooping, etc. they get dirty and you don't want your new bundle of joy wrapped in dirty clothes. Also, bring a nice plushy blanket and extra things that you'd like to get stamped with the babies hand and foot print as the nurses help you with this and it's much easier. At home, getting a handprint is very challenging. :)

Oh, one last thing that we did that will save you time and money. Bring a gift to be left with the hospital staff on your last day. We brought a few boxes of natural snacks that we bought at Costco and packaged them up like gifts. Everyone sends flowers, etc for the staff afterward and it can add up. Plus with a new baby, you don't have to worry about thanking the hospital staff if you just have your husband drop this off before you guys leave. We just included a card that said "Thank you for taking care of us" - baby, mommy, daddy, etc. They loved it and we were able to see them eating all the goodies we left.

HTH!

Congrats! Hoag is wonderful! All the nurses are amazing

• Thanks for asking! this was going to be my next question.
  • I think it was pretty much all covered, but I will add that if either you or DH take allergy meds (ever), bring them.  I got a horrific sinus headache my second day in the hospital and had to wait like an hour so they could get a script from the doc for some Sudafed.  It was awful. 

Also, we brought a ton of DVDs only to find out that they had VCRs.  Waste of space.

One last thing, if you plan to use pacifiers, I would bring one or two along with you.  They were lifesavers for us because DS was a pretty good self-soother as long as he had a paci.  He hated the ones provided.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"