Special Needs

Started seeing a therapist

I realize I have a lot of anger regarding having a child with special needs. I love Marley fiercely but I am so bitter. Mostly I am angry at the doctors for not being clear with me when first when I had my 18 week fetal survey that indicated there were problems and then throughout my pregnancy when it became even more evident that something wasn't right. I blame myself for not asking the right questions and I resent all my friends and family that tried to reassure me that everything would be okay.

I know I have a long road ahead of me but it feels really cathartic to be able to express my anger and have a safe place to cry.

I don't want to be angry because it just elevates my depression and anxiety. I have felt so out control with my emotions for the last 2 1/2 years and it's not good for me and most especially, for Marley.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Started seeing a therapist

• Good for you, sweetie!  This can only be a good thing for you and especially for Marley!  

The next time we see the social worker from the regional center (next week I think) I am going to ask if they have resources for parents.  I really need to talk to someone about my anxiety!  I think a lot of us need help with processing everything that has happened with our little ones. 

• ((Hugs)) Good for you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Good for you...i am all for therapy.  It helps to have someone outside of the situation- I think it will be very positive for you.  Best of luck!
  • Good for you! You won't believe how much it will help just getting everything out there for an outsider to hear. I fortunately was already going for therapy for quite a few years before this all happened, so now I am just increasing the frequency. Taking care of yourself is so important!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • That sounds really good for you!  I hope they're great! 

When you posted its been 2 1/2 years, I had to look at your ticker I think its kind of crazy though that your ticker says Marley is already 1 yr 3 mos.  I am used to reading your posts on here since the beginning of the SN board.  That's a long time dealing with these feelings - so I hope it helps you a lot!!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Good for you. I also think that this will be geat for you and Marley. I too on several occasions have thought about seeing a therapist, more for anxiety than anger or depression. I have such fear that Cash got his condition from me...I fear taking any medications in case it would effect me and cause me to stop breathing. I have episodes usually every three months and like nanakwaz have thought about asking for services or resources for parents with special needs.

I am very proud of you and I love Marley's new siggy, she is so stinking cute!!!

Hence if anyone read's this I have been a little lost lately and haven't been on my blog or the boards, I just needed a break from it all. Glad I picked today to come back around!

• I freely discuss the fact that I take medication for my anxiety with anyone that mentions stuff like this.  Cross a strong willed PDD-NOS child with a serious type A mommy and its a breeding ground for anxiety issues.  Add another child 21 months apart, 3 international moves in 2.5 years, a DH that works 50+ hours a week, and you have the perfect storm :)  I'm a better mommy with therapy and a little medication.  Honestly I think the therapy helps more than the medication but it all depends on the individual.  Anything you do to help yourself helps your family.  You're doing a good thing.
  • Good for you. DH and I see a social worker once a week. The only snag is that whenever we go I'm always in a pretty good mood because I'm with DH and I get to visit with my mom when she comes to watch our babe for the hour. What I really need is a pocket therapist who can be on-call for those really low moments that happen so frequently during the rest of the week when I'm alone with our daughter and she's having seizure after seizure. As soon as our girl is off breast milk, I am going all out for meds! Just the idea that I could get a prescription helps. I hear you about the anger. It sucks that the doctors were not more upfront about what you faced. Sometimes I also resent those around us who reassure us that "she is going to be fine". I know they mean well, but how awful to lack that same optimism as a parent.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"