Detroit Babies
Options

Anyone familiar with Oakwood Hopital and Med Centers?

I would really like to have a water birth, but I'm not sure if they're offered through Oakwood Hospital. Does anyone know if they offer this or not? Thanks in advance!

Re: Anyone familiar with Oakwood Hopital and Med Centers?

• Options
    I would call their L&D department and ask, although I highly doubt they do. They still have semi-private recovery rooms unless you opt to pay out of pocket for a private room. I delivered my DD at Oakwood's main campus in Dearborn last year and I am researching new hospitals to deliver my next child. My simple birth plan was basically ridiculed by the drs. and nurses. It was just an OK experience, very impersonal and I really felt like I was just another routine delivery.
  • Options

Oakwood does not.  However, right down the road (literally!) is The Birth Place, on Goddard Road, and they have a beautiful birthing suite, with a nice deep tub,and over 15 years of experience with water birth!  The midwife who owns it is named Brigette, and she's great. 

Uof M and Hutzel Hospital both have practices of midwives who do waterbirth, as well.  They are both relatively close to you, so I would check out the practices!  I would actually lean toward the Hutzel practice, as there are fewer midwives, so you are more likely to get a midwife at the birth that you "know" pretty well...but go look at the units, interview the midwives, and see what you think!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I just found out that Oakwood only lets you sit in the birthing tube while your labor progresses. The docs and nurses their should've been more understanding when it came to your birth plan mammamay. I'll check out The Birth Place, but I'm so scared of Detroit Hospitals. Every time I went to one, there was a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"