Birth Stories

Well, That's One Way To Have a Home Birth!

My cousins birth story:

https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/article/20090113/SPJ0101/901130414&referr

For the linkaphobe:

EMTs help deliver baby girl on bathroom floor

By Nicole Strittmater ? Journal staff ? January 13, 2009

Jill Hicks of Stevens Point wanted a quick and easy delivery, but she had to settle for one out of the two.

The 31-year-old might have given birth after only one hour of labor Monday, but the location -- her bathroom at 4 a.m. -- was an issue.

At 6 pounds, 5.7 ounces and 19 inches, Allie Rose was born at 3:57 a.m. on the bathroom floor with the help of her father, Mic, 33, and four EMTs.

"I'm just so thankful that everything was OK," she said.

Jill Hicks woke up at 2:30 a.m. Monday sensing something was different. She and her husband talked about going to the hospital, but she wanted to wait so she wouldn't be embarrassingly sent back home.

When she started having contractions, though, her husband called for emergency medical technicians at about 3:30 a.m. Everyone kept asking how far apart her contractions were, but since her first pregnancy was induced, she wasn't sure if what she was experiencing was labor -- there wasn't any rhythm to her contractions, she said.

"I kept thinking, 'Gosh, this isn't as painful,'" she said. "Next thing I knew, my water breaks, and I'm on the toilet pushing."

The woman who answered the 911 call told Mic what to do until the EMTs arrived, as Jill got on her hands and knees.

"I was ready to get down and deliver my own baby at that point," she said.

Just in time, the paramedics arrived, shining their lights inside the house.

"I was so glad to see black shoes coming in," Mic said. "(They) turned to (us) and said, 'Nope, we're having this baby right here on this bathroom floor.'"

Five pushes later, Allie Rose was born, as their dog barked in the background and the couple's oldest daughter, Addison, 2, slept through the whole ordeal.

Holding Allie Rose close to stay warm, they were taken by ambulance to Saint Michael's Hospital and greeted with cheers by the emergency room staff.

"We were all very fortunate that there were no problems," said Kathy Pehlke, a certified doula hired by the couple, who rode in the ambulance with them. "This one was one of a kind."

Now, as the couple spend time with the newest addition to the family, they are having fun telling their story.

"How do we charge this?" Jill joked from her hospital bed. "Next time, I think I'll hang out in the hospital parking lot (for nine months)."

What's even funnier is they released the 9-11 call to them a few weeks later, and in it you hear the operator telling my cousin to get towels for the delivery and Jill in the BG yelling "No!  Not *those* towels!".  He'd grabbed the new guest towels she'd just bought.  :)

I keep telling them- next time just plan it this way and you won't have to freak out!  Until then everyone in my family thought I was crazy for being so pro-home birth.  Now they still think I'm crazy, but at least understand that it doesn't kill the baby.

Re: Well, That's One Way To Have a Home Birth!

• Oh my gosh that is CLASSIC!! Too funny!
  • imagejebuell:

What's even funnier is they released the 9-11 call to them a few weeks later, and in it you hear the operator telling my cousin to get towels for the delivery and Jill in the BG yelling "No!  Not *those* towels!".  He'd grabbed the new guest towels she'd just bought.  :)

OMG that is too funny!!!!

Great story, glad they're all ok!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageRach03k:
    imagejebuell:

OMG that is too funny!!!!

Great story, glad they're all ok!

That's awesome!!! I'd do the same thing.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • That's a great story to be able to tell.
    From miscarriages, a diagnosis of a bicornuate uterus, and fibroid removal surgery...It's been quite the journey but it was all well worth it. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • oh my! I love the towel comment!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • That is great!  I love the towel thing.  I would probably do the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"