1st Trimester

guinness vent!

Last night my hubby, bro inlaw and sister in law went out to dinner at an irish bar (that has very good food). Well, we knew the bartender (which is why we went). The bartenders girlfriend, Meg, also works there.

Well, the bartender (mark) brought a round of shots and brought me a "shot" of guinness beer, and a water. He said his girlfriend said that you could drink guinness while you are pregnant. While I'm sure that a shot of guinness would be relatively harmless, I said "no thank you". Well, the girlfriend got all pissed with me because she said I didn't believe her. 

I don't know her, and second, its not her baby! I just was flabbergasted that she got mad at me for nothing. We are supposed to hang out with these people again, but I'm hoping it doesn't happen. ARgh! People!

Re: guinness vent!

• I would have turned it down too.  She has no reason to get pissed at you about it, it's your baby!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ibisibis member
    While I'm sure a shot glass full of beer wouldn't do you any harm, it's pretty weird of them to give you a hard time about it. Your body, your choice.
  • Loading the player...
  • Indifferent

She sounds like a real gem.

• epphdepphd member
    I would have had it :)  But it should be your call and your "friend" should have backed off.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Ok wait ... she is saying that Guinness specifically is ok during pregnancy?  Like a Rolling Rock would be bad but Guiness is totally fine?  I'm not going to argue against having a beer once you get out of the first trimester.  I had one here and there both pregnancies with the blessing of my OB however to say that one specific brand is what makes the difference is crazy.

I wonder if she is mixing up the belief that dark beer like Guiness can increase your milk supply while BFing?  Some recommend having one a day.  That hasn't even been proven though.

Strange.

• Fun stuff. I'm sure a shot of beer wouldn't hurt anything, but I wouldn't have taken it either. That's odd that she thinks Guiness is safe during pregnancy...not just beer but specifically Guiness.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Guinness is magical stuff.   Crying I miss it so!!! 
  • I thought in Ireland they gave Guiness to pregnant women because it has so much iron?  I think that's the case anyway.  Not that I'm disagreeing with you.  Its stupid of her to get mad about it!
    BFP 4/23/09. D&E 7/17/09 16W5D. BFP #2 3/10/10. EDD 11/15/10 Babycakes was born 11/5/10! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • she shouldnt have reacted that way.... reguardless... my dr. gave me the go ahead for a glass of wine or a dark beer once a week... i dont even do that but it sure helped in the beginning before we told people...

with the last baby, i brought beer to the hospital and after i had the baby (next day) drank one and my milk came in.  (dr. suggested)  also helps with increasing milk flow..( or it did for me)

• imageaopikidd:

she shouldnt have reacted that way.... reguardless... my dr. gave me the go ahead for a glass of wine or a dark beer once a week... i dont even do that but it sure helped in the beginning before we told people...

with the last baby, i brought beer to the hospital and after i had the baby (next day) drank one and my milk came in.  (dr. suggested)  also helps with increasing milk flow..( or it did for me)

Mine said the same ( a glass of wine or a beer a week is fine after the first trimester). I'm curious about yours telling you dark beer specifically.  Why would it matter?  

• Whilst Guinness is "good for you" in that it has a high fiber and iron content (hence why people who binge drink it have a tendency to crap their pants at bars), it still has a high alcohol content, as do most European beers when compared to American beer. She had no right to get mad, it's your kid and your body.
  • imageJerseygirl16:

Ok wait ... she is saying that Guinness specifically is ok during pregnancy?  Like a Rolling Rock would be bad but Guiness is totally fine?  I'm not going to argue against having a beer once you get out of the first trimester.  I had one here and there both pregnancies with the blessing of my OB however to say that one specific brand is what makes the difference is crazy.

I wonder if she is mixing up the belief that dark beer like Guiness can increase your milk supply while BFing?  Some recommend having one a day.  That hasn't even been proven though.

Strange.

I think I read once that it is something about there being lots of iron and maybe something else in Guinness specifically.  I don't think I would have any alcohol while pregnant, it's not necessary. 

P.S.  A Rolling Rock... who would drink that anyway? Big Smile (I'm a bit of a beer snot though, I only like full-bodied, strong flavor, good color variety.)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers imageimage
  • at the very least i would've taken a sip but that's just me.  i agree with everyone, your body your choice.  her annoyance wa totalling uncalled for.

• Tonya_GTonya_G member

guinness.jpg image by zellergirl

Though, I must say, I prefer Murphy's Stout to Guinness- so much smoother! Damn I want a beer like there's no tomorrow!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"