Baby Names

Less popular alternatives to Emma/Emily?

DH and I have agreed on a boy name (Max Phillip), but we're having a hard time with a girl name.  For a long time it was Emma, then we thought that was too popular, so we changed it to Emily.  THEN, there was that big deal about Emma taking over the #1 spot from Emily.  We had no idea Emily was that popular!  So anyway, we still like those names, but we're just not sure if we want a name that popular. 

One alternative that we've thought of is Emerson, Emmy for short.  DH is not 100% sold on it though.  I think it's a little too out of the ordinary for him.  He likes classic names.  It doesn't have to be an E name or anything, those just happen to be ones that we like.  Abby is also in the running. 

What else would be a good alternative to those very popular girl names?  Thanks!

Re: Less popular alternatives to Emma/Emily?

• I really like Emerson.

Also:

Amelie/Amelia

• I think Emerson is really gaining in popularity.

I'd go with Emily, it's classic and cute and if you look at the actual numbers, there aren't that many girls named Emily.

• Loading the player...
  • I like Amelie, Emerson and Emmeline.
  • yaleyale member
    How many children with those names do you know IRL? I know of only one Emma and 0 Emilys. Emma was our #1 girl name choice and we wouldn't have changed it if this baby was a girl. I say stick with it if you really like it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do like Emerson.  I know a girl who's name is Ellison and they call her Ellie.

My oldest is just Ellie.  We thought we were being original, but that was 13 years ago.

• Elsa

Eva

Cora

Emilia, nn Emmy

Nora

• I think you should stick with Emily or Emma. I don't know any babies right now with either of those names. You can also check the popularity in your state. I like Emmaline too.
  • Emilia/Amelia

Elise

Elisa/Alisa

Elsa

Eva

Anna

Nora

Annabel

Celia

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are using Ella
  • Emelyn, Emlyn, Emelia, Emmeline, Emmy, Elsa, Eva, Evangeline, Evelyn, Ellie, Elanor, Estella, Elodie, Elisha, Elliot, Ellery

• How about Emilia ... the Italian spelling?
  • imageyale:
    How many children with those names do you know IRL? I know of only one Emma and 0 Emilys. Emma was our #1 girl name choice and we wouldn't have changed it if this baby was a girl. I say stick with it if you really like it.

I agree 100%

• LMS05LMS05 member
    Emma and Emily are so different in terms of style from Emerson. I personally hate Emerson, but love Emily and Emma. Emmeline is cute. I love Elizabeth.
  • I love Emerson but understand your husband's not being open- mine is the same.

How about Emmalyn?  Sounds similar to both Emma and Emily.

• Thanks for the ideas and opinions.  I'm going to have DH read this later.

I guess it's true that we don't know many people named Emma or Emily IRL.  I'm a teacher though, so I know a few from school and then we know some outside of school too.  Not too many though.  Maybe we'll still go with one of those.

I also really like Amelia, and I think DH likes that too.  We're thinking Elizabeth or Lynn for the middle name, depending on what we go with for the first name. 

• kyna81kyna81 member
    imageDMDavidson:

imageyale:

I agree 100%

I did a poll on one of the nest boards last week, because I too love Emily.  

The youngest Emily anyone knew was 8, and all the others were in their 20's.

Check out this site, she made up her own top name list from the 2008 list, but combined numbers for names with different spellings.  Its #4, you can also check and see how popular it is in your state on the SSA site.  I think we will use it anyway. I've taught for 10 years and haven't had an Emily yet!

https://sites.google.com/site/realbabynamelist/girls

• LMS05LMS05 member
    imagekyna81:
    imageDMDavidson:

imageyale:
    How many children with those names?do you know IRL? I know of only one Emma and 0 Emilys. Emma was our #1 girl name choice and we wouldn't have changed it if this baby was a girl. I say stick with it if you really like it.

I agree 100%

I did a poll on one of the nest boards last week, because I too love Emily. ?

The youngest Emily anyone knew was 8, and all the others were in their 20's.

Check out this site, she made up her own top name list from the 2008 list, but combined numbers for names with different spellings.? Its #4, you can also check and see how popular it is in your state on the SSA site.? I think we will use it anyway. I've taught for 10 years and haven't had an Emily yet!

?https://sites.google.com/site/realbabynamelist/girls

I must have not responded. My mom is a preschool teacher and she has a lot of Emilys in her school. I know an Emily that's 13, but I'm not around children.

• imageDMDavidson:

imageyale:

I agree 100%

I'm not one to ask about popularity because I have an Abigail. I agree with these guys, use it if you love it, you may never even meet another one.

• Emery is close to Emily. When I was pregnant a lady I worked with always called my belly Emily because she was convinced that was what I kept telling her...

Maybe your DH will like it? It's close to Emerson also, but maybe not as far "out there" as he thinks it is?? FWIW, I love Emerson... DH didn't like it at all!

Other than that... I don't have any clue for other suggestions! GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • 2 of our top names are Emery and Ellery--having trouble deciding but these are somewhat similar . . .
  • Emerson is not good. Not classic like Emily or Emma.

I love Amelia. So pretty. What about Lillian or Olivia or Claire?

Go with what you love. I love the nickname Millie for Amelia.

• imageshopgirl_07:

I think Emerson is really gaining in popularity.

I'd go with Emily, it's classic and cute and if you look at the actual numbers, there aren't that many girls named Emily.

This.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"