Birth Stories
Options

Successful and quick VBAC...long story (PIPs)

I had a c-section with my first child because he was "sunny-side up" and I never effaced past 50%.  When I first found out I was pregnant with my 2nd I really wanted to opt for a repeat c-section.  My doctor is the one who talked me into going for a VBAC.  He said we would take it day by day with this pregnancy.  If it looked like I wasn't effacing or if he could tell that Gracie was not in the right position we would go ahead and schedule a c-section.

I went in for my 38 week appointment on May 7.  He checked me and I was 3 cm and 50% effaced.  I was 2 cm and 50% the week before that.  He also confirmed that I had lost my mucous plug (I told him I thought I had lost it two days earlier).  He said that I would "probably go into labor within the week."  My mom was in town from Dallas to help me get ready for the baby and we were hoping that Gracie would make her appearance while she was in town so that mom wouldn't have to drive back.  My doctor said to try walking and nipple stimulation to help things along since my mom was scheduled to leave in three days.  After the doctor's appointment I went back to work and started having what I believed were Braxton Hicks.  My mom and my son met me after work and we went on a walk around a park.  It was about a mile.  I was still having mild contractions, but I was convinced that they weren't anything.

We got home and I decided to start timing them.  It was about 7:30 pm.  I called my doctor an hour later because the contractions were getting stronger and they were anywhere from 2 minutes to 6 minutes apart.  They weren't consistent at all so I figured my doc would say to go to bed or something, but he said to go to the hospital to get checked.  I called my husband who was at work and told him we were going to get checked, but to not worry about leaving work (he gets off at 11 pm).  We dropped my son off at my MILs house and went to the hospital.  Luckily, my husband left work early! 

We got to the hospital at 10 pm.  By the time we got up to labor and delivery I was having to stop in the hallway and breathe through the contractions and I was pretty sure that I had either just peed myself or my water had broken.  They put me in triage and checked me and I was 4 cm and still 50% effaced and she confirmed that I had gushed a little bit of fluid so I was admitted.  Things got pretty intense pretty fast!  I immediatley asked for drugs (I'm a weenie when it comes to pain and I was already crying becaue I hurt so bad).  The contractions felt like they were coming right on top of each other.  My husband walked in at this point.  It was about 10:50 pm.  I was begging for drugs and they said they couldn't give me anything until they checked me again.  They checked me and I was 7 cm and 80%.  They gave me Stadol which only took the edge off of the contractions.  I begged for an epi, but they said I was progressing too fast and that there was no time.  My mom said I had a look of sheer panic go across my face when they told me this.  Almost immediatly after this I felt an intense need to push.  The nurses wouldn't let because my doctor hadn't gotten there yet.  My doctor walked in around 11:10 pm and didn't even have time to put scrubs on.  I pushed for 15 minutes and Gracie came into this world 1 hour and 25 minutes after we got to the hospital. She weighed in at 7 pounds 12 ounces and was 19 1/2" long. 

The pushing really freaked me out.  I kept chickening out.  I could feel when I was pushing right and I felt like I was going to explode so I would stop.  My mom had been sitting over in the window seat up until whe saw I was chickening out.  She came over and pushed my shoulders up to where I was almost hugging my belly and she was out in two pushes.  I'm so happy she did that!  I ended up with a 2nd degree tear which hurt, but I was up and walking within the hour.  More power to the people who give birth without an epi, but it definatly is not the way I would ever chose to do it again!  =) 

I'm definatly glad I had a vaginal birth this time.  The recovery is SO much better than a c-section.  I say if you can go for a VBAC then definatly do it! 

image  This picture cracks me up because all my doctor had time to put on was shoe covers and gloves!

Re: Successful and quick VBAC...long story (PIPs)

• Options
    congrats!! thanks for sharing!

Happily Married DH on 11/11/06

*My life revolves around a bunch of boys!*

Proud Mommy to these angels:

TP - Lost baby & my tube 10/12/14;

MM at 13 wks - March 2007 &

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Rainbow babiesLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    Congrats! what great pics!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats what a great story, cute pics
  • Options

Congratulations!! I am also hoping for a VBAC in the next few weeks and I hope my labor goes quickkly like yours. I love that picture of the doctor with shorts on!!!

You kids are adorable!!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

How awesome!  I'm running a VBAC hopeful check-in on the tri-boards... would you mind if I link to your birth story?

Stories like this give me hope Smile

• Options
    imageMrs.tlcS:

How awesome!  I'm running a VBAC hopeful check-in on the tri-boards... would you mind if I link to your birth story?

Stories like this give me hope Smile

Go right ahead.

• Options

Huge congrats!  I hope to VBAC in about 2 years when we're expecting #2.  I hope that I have a VBAC that goes as smoothly as yours did.  The pics are great!

How old is your son?

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Options
    Wonderful! Thank you for the encouraging story :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    ccmmkkccmmkk member
    congrats on the successful vbac!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congrats!  Pics are great.
  • Options
    great story ... congrats on the VBAC ... your little girl is beautiful
  • Options
    imageGeekchick921:

Huge congrats!  I hope to VBAC in about 2 years when we're expecting #2.  I hope that I have a VBAC that goes as smoothly as yours did.  The pics are great!

How old is your son?

He is 20 months. =)

• Options
    EANEAN member
    Congratulations!!!!!  I am hoping for a VBAC as well.  Love the pic of your doctor!
  • Options
    Congratulations!!!  She's beautiful :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"