Texas Babies

Belly sleepers....

Those of you who put your LO's on their belly to sleep, when did you start doing this?  Do you feel your baby sleeps better this way?

James has been tolerating being on his tummy more and even will take naps on his stomach.  I still put him on his back or side to sleep at night, but I'm wondering if he'll sleep longer if I put him on his tummy....

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Belly sleepers....

• I never did, until he learned to roll over himself. The risk of SIDS was just not worth an extra few hours of sleep IMO.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Audrey sleeps on her stomach all the time during the day (either on my chest or on a blanket when I'm watching her). Not at night though, we have been swaddling her so she is on her back at night.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageOct1406:
    Audrey sleeps on her stomach all the time during the day (either on my chest or on a blanket when I'm watching her). Not at night though, we have been swaddling her so she is on her back at night.

Hey, how is the swaddling going?  I tried doing that a couple nights and he just wiggled out of it.  ugh.

• Like I was saying today...Bella does well during the day on her belly...she's been doing a lot better on her back too though.  She only would do tummy at the beginning.  At night, I'm paranoid though.  We swaddle her tight and she sleeps hours on her back.  I REALLY would recommend a tight swaddle first...before the belly at night thing.  I think you will rest better and not worry.  Get your hubby to swaddle him.  My DH swaddles much better than I do.  Bella always wiggles out of my swaddles
  • imageMichelley1210:
    Like I was saying today...Bella does well during the day on her belly...she's been doing a lot better on her back too though.  She only would do tummy at the beginning.  At night, I'm paranoid though.  We swaddle her tight and she sleeps hours on her back.  I REALLY would recommend a tight swaddle first...before the belly at night thing.  I think you will rest better and not worry.  Get your hubby to swaddle him.  My DH swaddles much better than I do.  Bella always wiggles out of my swaddles

so, i went to the miracle blanket website and saw the trick to keeping the arms swaddled.  Gonna try it tonight.

• Kate- Do you have one of those swaddle blankets? I am horrible at swaddling but that thing is amazing. We use it every night and Ben sleeps so well!
  • Elise is a full-fledged belly sleeper. It is NOT proven to be a SIDS risk. The cause of SIDS is unknown.?

However, Elise didn't become a full time belly sleeper until about 4 months. As soon as she could roll over, she started sleeping on her belly. Honestly, though, I'm not sure if she's a better sleeper bc of it... she's not a great sleeper anyway. We swaddled until she started rolling and getting out of it. *sigh* I miss swaddling... she took the best naps swaddled!?

I see NO harm in letting him sleep on his belly. Obviously remove everything from his crib and not get drunk and/or high and co-sleep... lolz.

I've said it time and time again... most of us probably slept on our bellies and 99.99999999999% of the time it is fine. Belly sleeping does not cause SIDS.?

• I agree 100% with Lauren. 

We swaddled up until 4months and it just wasn't working any longer.  I started letting her nap on her belly and it was magic.  I finally had a napper.  Now she sleeps exclusivley on her stomack all the time.  She STTN on her belly and knows how to roll over both ways.  Most mornings when I get her up she's on her back.

• I did not mean that belly sleeping causes SIDS. Obviously the cause of SIDS is not known. But if it is recommended not to put my baby on his belly because it MIGHT reduce the chance of SIDS, then that would be the direction I choose to go. If you feel comfortable letting your baby sleep on their belly, then more power to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"