Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Baby wakes up crying an hour after bedtime

Hopefully someone out there has had a similar experience and can help--DS has been waking up crying exactly an hour after he goes to sleep almost every night. We can't figure out why and we don't want to get into the habit of always running right to his crib when this happens.

Thoughts? Suggestions? If you need more info to offer help, please let me know. I'm distracted as I'm listening to a crying baby right now :-(

Re: Baby wakes up crying an hour after bedtime

• Options

I thought we were the only ones!  I have an 8 month old and he wakes up after 45 minutes.  I don't have any advice since I run up and stick his paci in his mouth and he goes back to sleep.  It's like he is disoriented or something and forgets how sleep he is.  :) 

Anyway, I just keep hoping he will grow out of this phase since he just started doing this a few weeks ago.

• Options
    Could it be teething? ?Maybe the pain is waking DC up?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS did this at 6 months.  It was the beginning of the indication that we were headed down the Ferber road.  We never knew exactly why he did it, but I believe that he was waking up at the end of his first sleep cycle and wasn't able to put himself back to sleep, so he cried.  Ferber worked wonders for us.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine does this still on occasion, but it used to be more frequently. I think it's just part of their sleep cycle where they're drifting out of deep sleep and into light sleep and sometimes they're not able to sleep through the transition for whatever reason.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageBejebus:
    I believe that he was waking up at the end of his first sleep cycle and wasn't able to put himself back to sleep, so he cried. ??

This is most likely the cause. We had this trouble with naps when we first started using the Baby Whisperer techniques. They suggest the "wake to sleep" method; after about 25 minutes of sleep you go in and gently "wake" them (not all the way awake, but enough so they stir- I used to rub DD's belly). They then drift back off, but the part of the sleep cycle where they come out of the deeper sleep has been skipped, so they stay asleep longer.

This worked with DD most of the time and after doing it for a few days I didn't need to anymore because she was able to transition through the different sleep cycles on her own. HTH!?

• Options
    imageamhodina:

imageBejebus:
    I believe that he was waking up at the end of his first sleep cycle and wasn't able to put himself back to sleep, so he cried.   

This is most likely the cause. We had this trouble with naps when we first started using the Baby Whisperer techniques. They suggest the "wake to sleep" method; after about 25 minutes of sleep you go in and gently "wake" them (not all the way awake, but enough so they stir- I used to rub DD's belly). They then drift back off, but the part of the sleep cycle where they come out of the deeper sleep has been skipped, so they stay asleep longer.

This worked with DD most of the time and after doing it for a few days I didn't need to anymore because she was able to transition through the different sleep cycles on her own. HTH! 

DS has been waking up after 45 minutes for months now and I am SO trying this tomorrow!  

O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • Options

Our DD did this almost every night from 3 1/2 months to 6 months.  Right around 6 months, we decided to let her work through it on her own.  It took 5-10 minutes of her fussing for a few nights.  She never got super upset, I would have had to bail her out!  But ever since (about 2 months), she doesn't cry when/if she wakes up after an hour or so.  I swear JUST as I wrote this, she started crying!  Im out.  But in conclusion, letting her fuss on her own for a few minutes was a really painless solution.

GL

• Options
    DD started doing this around 2-3 months. We finally did Sleep Easy Solution at 5 months. It was a sleep cycle thing & she wasn't able to self soothe back to sleep. We tried the wake to sleep & other things but nothing worked.
  • Options
    DS used to do this.  We started putting him to bed an hour earlier and it stopped immediately.
  • Options

My ds usually does the same thing! I give it about 5 mins and most of the time, he will drift back off. He does have crying spells through the night (once or twice) also but if it doesnt last longer than 5 mins, I dont get up.

I dont really have any advice though. Maybe he is teething. My ds seems to have been "teething" now for 4 months! Still not one tooth! Some nights, when he is fussy, I give him some tylenol before he goes to sleep. That seems to help.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"