Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Going Diaperless??? Anyone?

DH and I want to go diaperless for the most part and use cloth diapers to pick up the slack. I think it would be wonderful for baby not to have to wear those big ole diapers all the time... and not have to train them to go in their diaper and then re-train them not to again!

However, I don't know anyone else (besides people I've read about in books!) who has done this.  Are there any Bumpies going diaperless?  What are your trials and tribulations?!?!?!!

Re: Going Diaperless??? Anyone?

• I'm sorry but why in the world would you want to go diaperless. That sounds absolutely disgusting and a big ole' mess. Do you have other children? Do you know how much babies poop and pee? Doesn't sound like a great idea!
  • What do you mean by train them to go in their diaper? They pee and poop whenever they want w/o any intervention from you. 

Do you mean you want to cloth diaper? Lots of people do this. 

I hope you don't think you can let your baby go without any diaper, that is so unsanitary. 

Sorry but this is the most confusing post I have ever read.

• Loading the player...
  • Well this would work if you lived in a grass field..
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • You don't "train" them to go in a diaper. They have no control so there is nothing to train. I wish your carpet and furniture lots of luck.
  • it's a new "movement" of sorts (hahaha, what a pun) called Elimination Communication.  (google it, it's real!)  based on the idea that you read the baby's cues and hold them over the toilet or sink when they are going to pee/poo.  i know a friend of a friend who tried it... but honestly after a few months they gave up.  it's really not easy... you might want to stick with cloth diapers at least until they are a little older.  just a suggestion, but good luck!
  • I would say from the responses that no one goes diaperless.

If you want to go for it, by all means. Just have resolve/carpet cleaner/etc. on hand

Using cloth diapers I figure would be for when you guys go out? I hope...

ETA: Also, don't get offended if many people don't want to come over and sit on your furniture or be on your carpet.....just sayin'

• imagepigtails1031:
    Well this would work if you lived in a grass field..

LOL! This is ridiculous. They poop and pee all day long, are you going to follow him/her around with a mop?

• if you are talking about elimination communication I would go over to the eco board...I think some of the girls over there may have tried it.
  • imageK-K-K-Katie:
    it's a new "movement" of sorts (hahaha, what a pun) called Elimination Communication.  (google it, it's real!)  based on the idea that you read the baby's cues and hold them over the toilet or sink when they are going to pee/poo.  i know a friend of a friend who tried it... but honestly after a few months they gave up.  it's really not easy... you might want to stick with cloth diapers at least until they are a little older.  just a suggestion, but good luck!

Sorry but with all the stuff you need to get used to with a new baby, I can't imagine having to figure out when they are going to poop and pee. I still get surprised when dd pees on the changing table after 4 months of it. And now that she is only pooping every 4 days, I couldn't imagine what a mess that would be while trying to hold her over the toilet. 

• Yesssss - this is exactly what I'm talking about - however, it's nothing new.  It's been used since the dawn of time and many countries still use it today without issue.  Many mothers in these places cannot image not knowing when baby needs to eliminate...  I'm excited and nervous about the prospect!

Does your friend jump on TheBump anytime?  I would love to hear from her...

• Gah, I don't know about you, but I had the hardest time TRAINING DS to go to the bathroom in the diaper. Sheesh.

Um, yeah, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

imageimage
  • It's called a couple of different things: Natural Infant Hygiene, Elimination Communication (EC)...

We plan to keep baby diaperless as much as possible... and as close to one of us as much as possible.  Otherwise, during sleep and carrides... baby will have a cloth diaper (and pbly when we visit people...) until we get the hang of being able to tell when baby needs to eliminate.

Many cultures use EC instead of diapers.  Mothers are totally in tune with their child's need to potty.  You have to figure out their 'tells' and then put them in their elimination position and make a sound to help them connect the 2 things (pottying and the sound).  Most children can be out of diapers between 12 and 15 months (although I was out around 15 months even though Mom used diapers, albeit cloth diapers, with me).

A lot has changed in the history of diapering - just as in the history of birthing.  A lot of kids are in diapers much, much later than 15 months now... even up to 4 and 5 years... due to society's reliance on the convenience of diapers (imo based on my research).

However, I am still interested in talking to other Moms and Dads who have tried this here in our western society and how it's worked and hasn't worked for them.  But that's kinda the idea.  Google it!

• imageShinyHappyMe:

Many cultures use EC instead of diapers. 

Like which countries?

I mean, I know this is a valid method (not one I would do...but I know it's a real thing)...but I'd like to know which countries.

imageimage
  • imageI'mAcrossThePond:

imageShinyHappyMe:

Like which countries?

I mean, I know this is a valid method (not one I would do...but I know it's a real thing)...but I'd like to know which countries.

Germany, China, many African countries, Taiwan, Tibet, Turkey, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Brazil, Burma, Camerroon, India, Japan, Jamaica, Austria, Belize, parts of Canada, the Inuits in Alaska, Peru, a few nut jobs here in the good ole USA ;o)  ...and more

Many places that just traditionally do not use diapers... some of these places are third world, others are not...

I wouldn't bring my baby over undiapered and lay it on your couch though.  I am not rude!!  I will take into consideration other people's feelings on holding an undiapered babe... however, they're gonna get a cloth diapered babe, so it's not tooooo much different ;o)

• If you can do this, more power to you!

• However, I don't know anyone else (besides people I've read about in books!) who has done this.  Are there any Bumpies going diaperless?  What are your trials and tribulations?!?!?!!

i think the whole thing would be full of trials and tribulations.  it doesn't sound like it would give you or your child any chance to have fun with one another.

• *Bre**Bre* member
    There are a couple of ppl on eco friendly families that do it. Its too time consuming for me, but if it works, I guess you save $$ on diapers and spend it on cleaners?
  • imagemama2beof2:

ETA: Also, don't get offended if many people don't want to come over and sit on your furniture or be on your carpet.....just sayin'

LOL!

I've heard of this and it sounds like a whole lot of work. They're only young once, why rush them into doing more grown up things??

image DD and I. DD: 6/22/2008. DS: 6/22/2013
  • Mrs.VMrs.V member
    Wait until you have your baby and realize HOW OFTEN they pee!!!
  • There is a huge difference between an undiapered babe and a cloth diapered babe.  One is wearing a diaper. 

I think this is one of those ideas that sounds really appealing in theory.  I had a lot of ideas too.  Then I had a newborn and realized I had NO IDEA what it was like to have a newborn. 

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

• Have your baby then come back and tell us how this is going.
  • imagemeganet22:
    Have your baby then come back and tell us how this is going.

Ditto this.

• imageShinyHappyMe:
    imageI'mAcrossThePond:

imageShinyHappyMe:

Like which countries?

Germany, China, many African countries, Taiwan, Tibet, Turkey, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Brazil, Burma, Camerroon, India, Japan, Jamaica, Austria, Belize, parts of Canada, the Inuits in Alaska, Peru, a few nut jobs here in the good ole USA ;o)  ...and more

Many places that just traditionally do not use diapers... some of these places are third world, others are not...

I wouldn't bring my baby over undiapered and lay it on your couch though.  I am not rude!!  I will take into consideration other people's feelings on holding an undiapered babe... however, they're gonna get a cloth diapered babe, so it's not tooooo much different ;o)

First, do you realize how often a baby pees/poops?  DS pooped every time I bf'd him when he was a newborn.  And I don't mean afterwards, I mean during.  I just don't see how this is practical.  

Do you know anything about cloth diapers?  I wouldn't compare a diaperless baby to one in a cloth diaper. Cloth diapers are much better than thy used to be. I wouldn't dare hold someone else's baby who they intentionally didn 't put a diaper on.  I could care less if a baby had a disposable or cloth diaper on.

I would also venture to say that you really wouldn't be able to take your LO that many places.  I don't know many people who would want a diaperless baby in their house. 

• not to be mean, but in 113 days I think you'll be off this kick!
    and if not, please don't visit any of your friends and family with your diaperless baby!
    Picture3-3.jpg

Our Twin Baby + a Big Girl Blog

And with the delivery trifecra of one twin vaginal, one c-section with general anesthesia for twin B, Spencer and Sidney joined us at 35 weeks exactly on June 18.

• i know you're going to get a lot of eye rolls b/c most people in this country just can't understand EC, but I think if you can do it and have the time, good for you!

i've seen EC being done when i in the peace corp in africa and those mothers were definitely NOT covered in pee and sh!t.  however i think the fact that they spend the majority of their time outside, working in fields may have something to do with how easy they have it.  (ETA - in regards to EC)

I CD but recently have been letting her have a lot of naked time.  i can't always tell when she's going to pee, but i def know whent he poo is about to happen and run for the bathroom or diaper (whatever happens to be closer :) ).

good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • this trains the PARENT, not the child.

• Have you checked out mothering.com?  I think there is a whole board on EC!  We didn't do it full time, but we did have DS on the potty at a few months old.  We started with a little $10 bjorn potty and had him sit on it after he woke up.  He's not potty trained, but he was a lot of more willing to use the potty at a much earlier age than many of his peers!

Good luck!

my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • I'm trying it with my 2 year old starting Monday!  That's a lot different than a newborn though.  I'll report back...

GL to you though.

• imageShinyHappyMe:
    imageI'mAcrossThePond:

imageShinyHappyMe:

Like which countries?

The fact that you think a cloth diapered baby is not toooo much different than a pantless baby makes me think you need to do more research into both CDing and EC.

• I think this would be different for a newborn vs. a 2 year old in a regular house vs. a field.

DH has a coworker whose relative who lives in Kazakstan and has a 6 month old that is supposedly "trained" to pee after each meal and she holds her over the toilet and she goes.

I've been to India and seen lots of babies diaperless. I've also seen toddlers peeing on the side of the road. And men peeing on the side of the road. And remnants of grown man poop on the side of the road too. Hmmm....so apparently it's norm for adults and children to go to the bathroom as needed on the side of the road. I was in a city too, fwiw.

I don't see the sense in doing this with a newborn to be honest.

• imageIselaCid:

Have you checked out mothering.com?  I think there is a whole board on EC!  We didn't do it full time, but we did have DS on the potty at a few months old.  We started with a little $10 bjorn potty and had him sit on it after he woke up.  He's not potty trained, but he was a lot of more willing to use the potty at a much earlier age than many of his peers!

Good luck!

so let me get this straight: your son is willing to sit on the potty but isn't potty trained? yeah, that sounds like a normal two year old.

and we didn't do any kind of "putting an infant on the potty." So it sounds like your way was a complete waste of time.

• imagejenerally:
    imageIselaCid:

Have you checked out mothering.com?  I think there is a whole board on EC!  We didn't do it full time, but we did have DS on the potty at a few months old.  We started with a little $10 bjorn potty and had him sit on it after he woke up.  He's not potty trained, but he was a lot of more willing to use the potty at a much earlier age than many of his peers!

Good luck!

so let me get this straight: your son is willing to sit on the potty but isn't potty trained? yeah, that sounds like a normal two year old.

and we didn't do any kind of "putting an infant on the potty." So it sounds like your way was a complete waste of time.

Unfortunately it was something we didn't stick to or follow through with.  But like I said, he was willing to sit on the potty and start with the whole process of "training" a lot earlier than most!  I don't think it was a complete waste of time, but I do wish we stuck with it and had him PT by now.  I'm getting nervous about what making it happen in the next few months before #2 arrives! 

my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this. What is the point? I couldn't even continue EP as long as I wanted to because it felt like that's all I was doing. I can't imagine having to put my baby on the toilet to pee and poop every 5 seconds.

• Parts of Canada?

Thees iz bullshiz - by parts of Canada you mean two or three dorks who by into this CRAP.

Don't pardon the pun, it was intended.?

• I don't think she's stupid, just not fully realizing how much and how often babies have to, well, eliminate. I realize other cultures do this, but their cultures tend to be very, very different from ours. From what I've read, you really have to be with your baby constantly for this to work. And not just be with them - paying exclusive attention to them to know when they're about to go. And I honestly don't know how you can know when they're going to pee - nothing about DS's disposition changes pre, during or post-pee. But, then again, I never tried EC, so maybe if I stared at him 24/7, I'd know. *shrugs*

And yeah, CD's and going diaper-less are very, very different. This tells me that you haven't researched CD's too much.

• IMO it seems like the benefits of EC would be from carrying your baby all day and listening to his cues.  At the same time, it seems like a lot of your time will be spent (wasted?) worrying about your baby peeping or pooping and running to the toilet.  How about you carry your baby all the time and listen to his cues for everything else that can't be resolved as easily as by putting on a diaper?

I know that many cultures do EC but a lot of them do it because they can't get their hands on diapers and/or the resources to wash and maintain them.  You have those resources, so make your life simpler and put a diaper on your baby.  They're not that bulky or horrible.  (And if you're looking for not bulky, try disposibles!)  

Honestly, unless you have some special kind of baby, I don't know how you could handle an undiapered newborn.  You do get that they poo every time you BF while you're BFing.  Are you going to do that over the sink or toilet?  My DS farts or coughs and shoots out some poo.  There are no cues there, I promise, but you'll still have poo all over the place.

I don't know.  I am open-minded and liberal but I hope you keep your priorities straight.  That is to say, I hope you don't miss out on great things because you're trying to crack the code to your DC's poop cues.

• I think those of you that are calling her stupid and crazy for wanting to attempt this are ignorant.

Yes, it may not be for you. But, EC is widely accepted in many parts of this world. To say that she is stupid for wanting to try this method, makes you appear stupid and ignorant about other cultures.  Just because we don't do it here, doesn't mean it's not a way of life for many other people.

I could never do it. I educated myself on the topic, and I decided that it's not for me.  But, more power to anyone that wants to give it a shot. 

OP, I don't think you are weird at all for asking about this.  Try the EFF board. They will be more willing to help you out with personal experiences and that sort of thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"