Parenting

if DH does not like your family..

how do you handle it??  Esp. at holidays and family functions.

DH does not like my family, for reasons I think are ridiculous.  He thinks they are petty and immature.  They are not, they are very good to us.  I think it boils down to a cultural thing and he does not understand my family humor.  He also takes almost everything so seriously and literally.  So, with that said, he does not go to any of our family holidays, unless we host or our trips down to my parents.  I go alone with DD, but, heres a another thing, he does not like me driving the 2 hours with DD by myself.  I am starting to accept it and move on, but, what a pain in the arse.

Re: if DH does not like your family..

• Ya know, that just might be a deal breaker for me. You dont like my family? Fine. But you will respect me and OUR CHILD enough to attend family events as a family.

Your DH sounds like a douchebag. Sorry. 

• I have to say he's a bit of an arse not to suck it up for the sake of your kids.

DH and I both have issues with each other's families. DH loves my mum and admires her but doesn't enjoy her company at all. I don't mind his parents company now and again, but I really deep down don't like them much. I think our values and priorities are so different.

But we both put these things aside for each other and for DS. I can't imagine not doing that. 

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, mines a "douchbag", too. He gets along well with my parents but just doesn't "do" family gatherings. He goes to the important ones, but dinners and such, he sits out. I don't really care, he can be a pain in the arse so I'm usually happy to just go with the kids. If he didn't want me to go, however, we'd have a BIG problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"