Babies: 0 - 3 Months

bf question for those of you that pump and have gone back to work recently

I'm going back to work in a couple of weeks and I've started pumping. So, I still am feeding my baby every few hours and trying to pump so I have some milk stored off for the first day or two that I am at work. So my question is: how much milk did you have stored up when you went back to work? How much were you able to pump every day when you were still at home with your baby? I'm just trying to get an idea of how I'm doing.

If I pump after a feeding I only get maybe half an ounce, but if I pump in between feedings when he takes a long nap I get a lot more - maybe 3 ounces.

I guess my biggest fear is that he'll eat more than I can pump at work for the next day's feedings.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: bf question for those of you that pump and have gone back to work recently

• Depends, sometimes I get 1-2 oz, sometimes I get 7-9 oz.  (Combined boobs)  I have found that in the AM I get a lot more milk than the PM, and if I have half a beer or a whole beer at night , I can pump a ton the next morning, even after she eats.  She has been sleeping from 12-5/6, so she eats quite a bit in the AM.
  • I have an overactive let down and somewhat of an over supply. I try to pump after DS's second morning nursing (when he's down for his first nap) and generally pump 6-7 ounces in about 10 minutes. Right now I have about 60 ounces in our deep freezer, and return to work in July.?
  • Loading the player...
  • I had about 20 oz when I went back to work.  Almost everyday I can pump what he needs for the next day and on a day before I am off all of that milk gets frozen.  I pump between 3 and 4 oz total each time.  I pump 3-4 times a day.  My LC said to pump after the first morning feeding and then 1 hour later.  My freezer stash isn't really growing but I'mnot concerned.
  • how much milk did you have stored up when you went back to work?

About 125 oz.  I'm glad  had it because within 2 weeks I had to be away from home for a family emergency.

How much were you able to pump every day when you were still at home with your baby? 

The last month I was home I really increased my effort.  I got about 5 oz a day, while nursing.

I guess my biggest fear is that he'll eat more than I can pump at work for the next day's feedings.

That was my fear too, still is.  I did fine my first month back at work, but my supply has taken a BIG hit over the past two weeks.  I don't know the cause, but I'm barely keeping up now.  If it dips again, I'll have to supplement.  Sad  I have enough flexibility in my work that I can pump as often as I need to, which is 5 times at work plus two additional pumps at home.

• It's not uncommon for you to pump out less than your LO needs at each pump. So be prepared to pump more often than you would BF if at home. I had quite a bit stored up in the freezer, but have blown through that pretty quickly. Now, I just pump more often or pump late at night while DS is sleeping if I need to make up some ounces. GL!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"