1st Trimester
Options

asthma meds and pregnancy

Hello. ?I'm wondering if anyone here has already been through a pregnancy while taking asthma meds (specifically Flovent). ?My Dr. told me to keep taking the meds during pregnancy, and I have been, but I'm still concerned about my baby's safety and I'm wondering if anyone has been through this before. ?Thank you!

Eileen

due 11/21/09 with our first!?

Re: asthma meds and pregnancy

• Options
    I have been taking my inhaler all throughout my pg. Take your inhaler, your LO is fine. If the doctor tells you it's alright to take it then do it!
  • Options

I was told to avoid them at all costs but obviously if I felt an attack coming on to take them or the inhaler. My OB and my Asthma/Allergist told me the same...I would just check the class of drug as that is why I can't take mine- they are class C or something. My asthma is mainly allergy induced. I have been able to take Zyrtec but not my other meds which I miss desperately. I really want to take my nasal inhaler but have been trying to hold off.

Although sometimes now it is hard to tell the difference between the baby laying weird and cutting my air off and the beginnings of an asthma attack. This was one thing my OB worried about... She said the bigger the baby gets the harder it is to breathe naturally and she didn't want me taking the inhaler for no reason.

I have gone on the advice of the Dr.'s so that is probably your best bet.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    epphdepphd member

Eileen - I just dealt with this.  Flovent is a category C medication, but pulmicort (which works the same way) is a category B and is considered a better choice for pregnancy by ACOG. You might ask about switching.

I've been on pulmicort for about 1 week now and it's pretty decent.  I feel like the flovent is a bit better (I've been using it for the last 10 years), but the pulmicort should be fine for me, I hope. 

For me, being off of the inhaled steroids is not an option - my asthma becomes intractable and then I just end up taking my albuterol 5-10 times a day.

GL!

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    epphdepphd member

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    I take advair and albuteral
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for the advice and thoughts. ?I think I'm going to stick with my OB's advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"