1st Trimester
Options

Am I being ridiculous?

I posted this on 2nd tri but I think everyone's called it a night already...

I would really appreciate your thoughts...

So tomorrow I have to work at the Delaware Fugitive Safe Surrender... basically nonviolent offenders can turn themselves in and the state will expedite their hearings... there will be hundreds of people there and I'm freaking out about the swine flu & being pregnant... please tell me I'm being ridiculous...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Am I being ridiculous?

• Options
    I think you are smart to think about it but the risk is minimal. There are lots of little things you can do to keep yourself safer - frequent hand washing, not touching your face etc but you know that. Go on the CDC site and see if they say more.
    Is there somewhere behind the scenes you could work?
    Life is either a daring adventure or it is nothing at all. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

IMO its rediculous for anyone to be afraid of this flu over any other flu.

Just be cautious about anyone that appears to be coughing, feverish, snotty, etc....wash your hands frequently. Do NOT touch your face, mouth, nose, eyes after shaking hands or touching things people hand you.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're worried, get one of those N85 masks or whatever it is and you'll be ok.

OH, bring hand sanitizer and user it often. :-)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    you are being ridiculous.
  • Options

imageDiscusCoach:
    I think you are smart to think about it but the risk is minimal. There are lots of little things you can do to keep yourself safer - frequent hand washing, not touching your face etc but you know that. Go on the CDC site and see if they say more.

I called the CDC's 1800 number and the woman said the problem w/ pregnant women is that even though the mom may not get sick, the baby's immune system may not be able to handle the flu and you wouldn't know there was a problem until it was too late to "fix" it.  Hence my paranoia

• Options
    Get one of those masks. The medical grade N85 mask and wear it proudly...That will protect you from inhaling or eating any germs mistakenly...make sure you wear it CORRECTLY...otherwise it won't work to help you. The other kinds of masks will not protect you as much as that special mask will. GL!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options

Are you in an area that has had actual reported cases of the swine flu?

If not, then I wouldn't be too concerned.  I would use hand sanitizer and wash your hands as often as possible.

If yes, then I would just be more diligent about hand washing & not touching other people's pens, hands, etc.  If you can, maybe get some latex gloves and wear those.

I am of the feeling, right now at least, that your risk of getting swine flu is the same as any other flu.  Just keep up with good hygiene.

• Options
    imageAshleyBrynne:

imageDiscusCoach:

I called the CDC's 1800 number and the woman said the problem w/ pregnant women is that even though the mom may not get sick, the baby's immune system may not be able to handle the flu and you wouldn't know there was a problem until it was too late to "fix" it.  Hence my paranoia

How exactly would your baby "catch" swine flu? 

As pp said-wash your hands frequently, get a mask if you are that worried about it.  But yes, you are being ridiculous.  You and every other person in this country.  Simmer down-you'll be fine. 

• Options
    imagemistresscox:
    imageAshleyBrynne:

imageDiscusCoach:

As pp said-wash your hands frequently, get a mask if you are that worried about it.  But yes, you are being ridiculous.  You and every other person in this country.  Simmer down-you'll be fine. 

The fetus can "catch" the swine flu from exposure through the mother's blood.  Not all exposures lead to infection for a person with a healthy immune system because their immune system kills the virus before any symptoms are observed.  This happens to everyone on virtually a daily basis.  The underdeveloped immune system of the fetus would not be as likely to tolerate the infection however.  Since the mother's immunoglobulins cannot cross the placental barrier (to keep the mother's immune system from attacking the fetus as a foreign body) the mother's immunity to the virus would be irrelevant.

Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • Options
    imageepopp85:
    imagemistresscox:
    imageAshleyBrynne:

imageDiscusCoach:

The fetus can "catch" the swine flu from exposure through the mother's blood.  Not all exposures lead to infection for a person with a healthy immune system because their immune system kills the virus before any symptoms are observed.  This happens to everyone on virtually a daily basis.  The underdeveloped immune system of the fetus would not be as likely to tolerate the infection however.  Since the mother's immunoglobulins cannot cross the placental barrier (to keep the mother's immune system from attacking the fetus as a foreign body) the mother's immunity to the virus would be irrelevant.

Well you should call the CDC with that info because part of the panic with the swine flu is that it's not known how it is passed from person to person.  What you have described is how a baby can catch any virus (the mom has to have it first).  The real question at hand is how ANYONE is catching it, and that's the concern at this point.  Do a little more research on it before panicking yourself. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"