2nd Trimester

Epidural?

Where do you ladies stand?

My mom had 3 naturally, decided to go for the epi with her last---almost 11 lbsIndifferent , and is nonchalantly trying to talk me out of it. At first, I said I have no desire for natural, which I still don't, but we watch A Baby Story religiously and one lady was so scared because she had 0 control of her body...couldn't feel when/how to push etc. It was obvious that she was very scared. Do stories like this change your mind at all?  I'd like some medical intervention, but wonder if it's all (epi) or nothing ("substitutes") ? I'd like views from people in my position, as well as what my dr will say at the next appointment. Thanks a bunch, ladies :)

Re: Epidural?

• No thanks... I'm going to give it my best shot and say no.
  • I will say this. I am going to try and stick it out as long as possible... but when the time comes, I am going to get an epidural. I'm going to a great hospital with great anestesiologists, and I really trust them to help me out.

I have heard mixed reviews on both natural childbirth as well as epidurals... so I think to be honest, it's what you make of every situation that really makes the difference.

• Loading the player...
  • I plan on saying no to the epi. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am a big chicken and always thought I would get the epi but I'll be honest - I really have not done any research on it at all so I'm not 100%.  I'd like to say I'll stick it out as long as I can but who knows.  I am not sure I can even make the decision until I'm there.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'd like to attemp things on my own first, but I'm not saying I won't get one either.  Everyone seems to think I'm insane or stupid for not wanting one...It terrifies me, I always think what if the doctor's hand twitches while he's putting that needle in my spine?!  I'm going to talk to my doctor & see what she says too...

• I'm going with a wait and see stance.  If I'm feeling well enough to continue through labor without an epidural, I will do so. However, if at any point I decide that I need medicinal intervention, I will not hesitate nor feel guilty about accepting an epidural.  I do plan to ask my OB about a walking epidural, as I would like to be able to move around as much as possible.  I'm also not opposed to something like Demoral earlier in labor to help me rest if needed.
  • I'm going to say no to the epi for as long as i can.  If I feel like i can go all the way naturally, i will.  If I need the epi, no biggie.
  • I'm going to give it a try without one.  Yet, I keep it an option since I have NO IDEA how I will handle the pain.
  • with my first i tried natural. ?since i was put on pitocin and contractions are worse i ended up getting an epidural. ?for this one i'm getting one right away.?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • No way for me.  Too many things it can lead to and I am way more afraid of a medication birth w/ too many unnecessary interventions than a natural one where I might feel a little pain. There are just way too many downsides to an epidural for me when there is only one (maybe) upside and that is controlling some of the pain.
  • imagepeppermintgirl:
    I'm going with a wait and see stance.  If I'm feeling well enough to continue through labor without an epidural, I will do so. However, if at any point I decide that I need medicinal intervention, I will not hesitate nor feel guilty about accepting an epidural.  I do plan to ask my OB about a walking epidural, as I would like to be able to move around as much as possible.  I'm also not opposed to something like Demoral earlier in labor to help me rest if needed.

Demoral and things like that are what I'm wondering about. I don't know how you feel, but everything I've heard makes it *seem* like it's epidural or natural. I hope there is a decent middle ground somewhere. Of course, I'll cross bridges when I come to them:) Thanks for the input!

• I wanted to give it a try without but knew I'd get it if I really felt like I needed it and that's what happened. I labored without it for as long as I could and asked for it when I was done.

I couldn't feel a thing once the epi started working and I still "pushed" my baby out without a problem. The nurses would tell me when a contraction was coming. I felt like I had all the control I needed to have at the moment.

?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's an incredibly hard decision to make before you are actual in the heat of it (hypothically, it's a really easy decision).  I suggest that you read up on it all, take classes (or whatever is available).  Learn pain management strategies (the breathing done in things like yoga and pilates work wonders).   In otherwords, be prepared for drug-free/minimal intervention.  Then, when the time comes and you find out how you (and your body) react to the pain and you reach your limits - you'll know what/how to ask for what you need.

This is basically what I did the first time and I made it drug-free with an vacuum extraction and episiotomy (it was a somewhat difficult delivery).  I plan to go about it the same way again, I'll just see how it goes and what my limits are this time.

• With my 1st born, I went into it with an open mind. I had not done any training for natural childbirth, so I knew it was unlikely that I would go that route, but was terrified of having a needle in my spine. When I was checking into L&D they asked if I would be using pain meds, and I said I was unsure. I did know i would NOT be taking stadol or any other narcotics, I dont do well with pain meds of that nature and did not want to loopy or drowsy for the delivery. The pain got to a point for me that I did not care if they were sticking 1,000 needles in my spine, and I asked for the epidural. It took a long time to get it, as the anesthelogists were both in c-sections, but once I got it, it was heaven. I was numb from the mid section down, but could still push just fine.

With my 2nd born, I went into it thinking I would of course get an epidural, but the routine blood work they do when you arrive at L&D showed an elevated white blood cell count and the anesthelogist would not give me an epi. I was freaked out. My OB spoke to her, and I was actually able to get it a few hours later, I ended up delivering only 45 mins after the epi. Although I am glad I got it part of me wishes I had known I was so close to delivery so I could have held out and gone natural, just to experience birth that way as well.

We'll see what happens this time around, I plan to once again go into it with an open mind, see how labor progresses and make the game time decision.

My Mom, like yours, also had natural deliveries, but when she was having babies, the options were natural or "twilight sleep" and she chose natural.

Good luck with your decision!

• I'm getting one. IMO- it's there for our use...I'm taking full advantage of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My goal is no intervention (Pitocin or otherwise), to me it does feel like one things leads to another and my goal is to labor comfortably in positions other than laying flat on my back. I had a previous allergic reaction to IV pain medication so I am generally trying to avoid even chancing going down that road again.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Demorol and laughing gas are other pain management drugs.  I'm sure there are others.

It's also not a bad idea to familiarize yourself with some of the necessary medical interventions that could be used if the need arises.  That way, you'll know what's happening and you (or your DH) can question in the event that they are used.

• I don't like the idea of a huge needle in my back, anyhow, if pain is not bearable, I will turn to drugs.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to try to go natural and take Bradley classes to learn as much as I can about controlling the pain. But, I reserve the right to make the choice when the time comes. My dr. said it's really hard to say what you will do ahead of time. In his 30 years of experience, he said 50% of those who say they want one don't get one, and 50% of those who say they won't, end up getting it.

• I'm planning on going without the epi

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the different views. Now, I can form better questions for my doc. Thanks again!
  • I want the drugs, ALLLLLLLLLLL the drugs.  If just knocking me out were still an option I'd go that route.  I admire you ladies who are going the natural route or keeping your options open, but I want pain meds and I want them now. 

I asked my doc at my last appt. if he would hook me up to the epidural about two weeks ahead of time so that I would be already ready when I went into labor.  He thought I was hilaaaaaarrrrrrious.  I was only half way joking. 

• I am going to try to do it w/o the epidural if I can. ?If I had to get induced for a medical reason I don't know if I could do it w/o an epidural if I had to get Pitocin - I hear contractions on that are more painful. ?So, I hope I don't have to get induced. ? ?
  • I am going epi all the way.  everyone I know had one and no issues ever came up.
  • The baby has to come out regardless, give me the drugs please & the good ones! I am without a doubt taking the epi!?
  • imageamhough:

I want the drugs, ALLLLLLLLLLL the drugs.  If just knocking me out were still an option I'd go that route.  I admire you ladies who are going the natural route or keeping your options open, but I want pain meds and I want them now. 

I asked my doc at my last appt. if he would hook me up to the epidural about two weeks ahead of time so that I would be already ready when I went into labor.  He thought I was hilaaaaaarrrrrrious.  I was only half way joking. 

LMAO!!

• Because I've never given birth before, I'm not going in with a plan... I'm going to educate myself on everything and see what I need when I need it. Not saying no or yes to anything because I have NO idea what it's going to be like.

GL with your decision.

• I've seen too many Baby Stories to know that I would be kidding myself if I thought I'd end up going natural.  I just know I could not/would not/want to do it without pain relief.  I am actually more afraid of an episiotomy than a needle in my back.  I hear you don't feel it (I'm sure especially if you have epi), but it still scares me/skeeves me to no end.  The whole birthing process scares me now that it is inevitable and real.  Reading the birth plan form on the website made my stomach turn, too.  Uh, what did I do?!
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • I'm not going to lie about it... I'm taking it.
  • I am open to all drugs except the epi or a spinal tap, anything that has to do with a needle in my spine is out of my plan.  Unless I end up needing a c-sec. I have too many family members with bad epi procedures, and I'm too scared to go that route, not to mention I have a deep fear of needles
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My husband is an anesthesiologist so I'm well aware of all possible complications and am still definitely going with the epidural.  There is no prize for going drug free in my book. 

• I am not having an epidural. Period, end of story. I have a notoriously horrible back (I go to the Chiropractor once a week, and would probably go more often if I weren't in school and live an hour and a half from her, or if I could afford it better). The research I've done, and from personal stories I know, say that there is a good chance you will have, at some point, residual back pain/problems from the procedure. I refuse to add any more problems to my back.

I'm not a stranger to pain, since I was 15 I've had 2 knee operations, numerous back injuries, and hundreds of ruptured ovarian cysts (really, I have no idea how I got pregnant - twice). I think I can manage the pain. My DH and I will be taking lamaze classes as well as Bradley classes (or at least getting Bradley training from my Chiro if we can't afford the classes). 

I am praying that they don't want to induce me. I'm all for natural health (herbal remedies and the like) and I don't want an induction. My best friend had one with her son and said it was way worse than labor, she reacted very strongly to the pitocin. 

I think (and I haven't discussed this with my OB/Midwife yet because we have to switch in a few weeks) that as long as I can walk around and do things 'my way' I should be fine. Maybe I'm kidding myself, but I don't think so.

My MIL and SIL think I'm insane. Both had epidruals with all of their pregnancies (5 between them) and couldn't imagine doing it any other way. With my SIL, she had the epidural and had her 3rd son 10 minutes later. With her second son, he was crowning for 2 HOURS while they waited for the doctor (needless to say, I'm not going to that hospital). I just think that the doctors get a lot more liberties when you have an epidural. It's easier to c-section you, it's easier to do a lot of things.

My mom is, thankfully, my advocate and will be at the birth to advocate for me, and with me. I honestly think I might cave if it weren't for her, but I know that she'll help me through!

• I have an AV Malformation in my left eye which is just a weird bunch of vessels that should not be there. My DR and retina specalist are watching it close to make sure that it does not grow in size between now and delievery because if so they will take the baby C-Section. If it does not, there is still a risk of bleeding caused by the pressure of pushing ... so my DR wants me to not push until the very last minute & as little as possible because these vessels can bleed which can cause problems that would require surgery, or worse, cause blindness. So, with all of that I know that I will be getting one because any extra stress and pressure could cause more problems than I am willing to deal with with a newborn baby at home. We are having the baby and the hospital where DH works and we will hand pick the people in my room so I know we are going to get the best of the best.
  • imageamhough:

I want the drugs, ALLLLLLLLLLL the drugs.  If just knocking me out were still an option I'd go that route.  I admire you ladies who are going the natural route or keeping your options open, but I want pain meds and I want them now. 

This.  =P

PS Am, I read this to DH, he thought it was funny too.

• With my first I tried to wait but when I was in a lot of pain at 4 cm I was terrified of what 10 would feel like so I opted for an epidural. I later found out I was transition right before and was already at 10. Thankfully, i had the epidural because they had to due an emergency epiziotomy (ms) since the cord was wrapped around her neck.

With my 2nd, I asked for the epidural soon because I had a friend that waited to long and wasn't able to have one. It really took the edge off and DH and I could relax, nap and enjoy the experience.

I will definitely have an epidural with this one, but you have to do what is right for you.

Good luck!

• Stories like these dont really scare me but Im choosing not to have one because I want to be fully present at this birth. I heard you cant move your legs after for awhile and I really dont want to experience that.

• Chilz08Chilz08 member
    I plan to do without one.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was all set to have all the drugs I could. I was scared about the pain. I was planning on the epi and got one, but the frigin' thing DID NOT WORK!!!! I felt everything. I had such a short labor that there was no time to get another. I suffered through it. I was not as bad as I had thought, but I don't know what would have happened if I had a long labor. Another thing, don't think that becasue you say no does not mean that you cannot change your mind in the middle of it. Good Luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"