Success after IF

Poll: Bumpers in crib?

Just curious if you're going to (or already do) use a bumper in your DC's crib, even though its recommended not to because of the possible SIDS risk. [Poll]

Re: Poll: Bumpers in crib?

• We use them, but we didn't put them in until about a month ago after Virginia got her leg stuck between the slats in her crib.
  • We used a breathable one until DS was 9 months old. Then we put in the one that came with his bedding set.
  • Loading the player...
  • We are going to have to put them up this weekend when we drop the crib.  DD has started sticking her hands and feet through the slats and trying to stand up:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I kept the bumper in her crib until she could roll over, but she was only in the crib for naps at that point -- she slept in the co-sleeper at night.

I haven't put it back because she's such a climber and I'm afraid she could use it to launch herself out of the crib.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We used the breathable ones (and still do on my daughter's crib) until my son started rolling everywhere. He would roll around at night, bump his head and wake up crying. Once we put the regular ones on he stopped waking up.
  • We use a breathable mesh bumper - babies r us has them for only about $25.  We've used it since my DD was born.
  • I'm planning to get the mesh breathable ones for the beginning. If one of htem starts to hit their head or something, I'll get a padded one then. I know when kids can pull up & stand, they also step on them to help get out of the crib though.
  • I answered no because I do not plan to use a traditional bumper, but I do plan to use a breathable bumper when he starts moving around.
  • We are buying a breathable one this weekend
    Health&Fitness Blog imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Our IVF miracles!
  • I voted yes, but we use breathable bumpers, not the traditional ones.
    ~Olivia~
  • We're using a traditional bumper in the crib and we even had one made for the cradle - I reserve the right to change my mind once the baby is actually here but we decided we would try it out with the bumpers in and see how it goes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We use a bumper.  Miles sleeps right up against the slats in the crib.  Before he could move it wasn't an issue because he was sleeping in the PNP in our room.  Once he could move we were glad he wouldn't get his arms/legs stuck.  So far they haven't been an issue for us.  It's all just a matter of what you're comfortable with.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're going to get the Cozy Wedge. I don't feel comfortable with regular ones b/c even before they start to move, the SIDS risk comes from a traditional bumper restricting air flow in the crib - it has nothing to do w/ baby getting stuck against it (b/c that's not SIDS, that's suffocation).
  • imageJCM083009:
    We're going to get the Cozy Wedge. I don't feel comfortable with regular ones b/c even before they start to move, the SIDS risk comes from a traditional bumper restricting air flow in the crib - it has nothing to do w/ baby getting stuck against it (b/c that's not SIDS, that's suffocation).

Do you have stats showing this? thanks...

2vc9jsg.jpg

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageSeptGirl05:
    We use a breathable mesh bumper

Ditto

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageskoorbnibor:

imageJCM083009:
    We're going to get the Cozy Wedge. I don't feel comfortable with regular ones b/c even before they start to move, the SIDS risk comes from a traditional bumper restricting air flow in the crib - it has nothing to do w/ baby getting stuck against it (b/c that's not SIDS, that's suffocation).

Do you have stats showing this? thanks...

I have seen this written some places too but never with data. The AAP's recommendation definitely comes from the risk for suffocation & getting caught in the bumper or strangulation from the ties (if you read the info on their site). The numbers I've seen quoted for this type of injury are quite low also- like 27 deaths in a 20 year period. (although I'm still using the mesh ones b/c I think I'd just freak myself out all the time anyway).

The AAP info does say something about rebreathing air but it isn't clear (from what I've seen) if that is when a baby is pushed up close to the bumper (seems more logical) vs just lying in a crib that has a bumper. (and you could always turn a fan on to get air circulation)

I think that the air flow thing is a theory, but Canada's health dept actually does use it as one of the reasons they recommend against the use of bumpers.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"