Infertility

Vaginal culture/swab????

When I started with my previous RE they had me come in so they could take a few STD cultures (clamydia and gonorrhea I believe). Well, I just switched REs and am about to start a new cycle. the nurse was reviewing my records and told me that they have all of their patients do an additional culture/swab that was related to miscariage? Has anyone ever heard of this? I have NEVER heard of this. I go tomorrow for b/w and u/s so will get more informatio then, but was just kind of curious.

Re: Vaginal culture/swab????

• This may be way off, but they could be checking for bacterial vaginosis. It's an infection that has been linked to miscarriages, and can be tentatively diagnosed with a swab to check your pH level (which would be elevated with BV). I didn't have this test done at my RE's, but it sounds probable!

Good luck at your appointment!?

• Thanks! She said since we were starting our cycle anyway despite the swab (staring this weekend) she was putting both DH and I on antiobiotics (doing Clomid and TI). So I guess that makes sense.
  • Loading the player...
  • We recently switched to a new RE after doing 3 rounds of Clomid/IUI and injectables/IUI with old RE.  I had 2 miscarriges with those treatments. 

My new RE is checking us for ureaplamsa and mycoplasma.  We were told that those 2  bacterial infections can cause miscarriages.  They are not sexually transmitted.  So DH and I both have to do 2 week of antibiotics and then we will both have cultures done. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for your reply. I have had a recent miscarriage so maybe that's why they are testing me?
  • It's for ureplasma, which *might* be linked to miscarriage (data are conflicting). A lot of REs are in the "better safe than sorry" camp when it comes to this, since the treatment is pretty easy (10 day course of antibiotics for you and DH).

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"