Pregnant after 35
Options

doulas

I was just curious to find out if you any of you are planning to have (or have had) a doula attending your birth. Other than some hesitation with some of the New Age-ness to it, I am seriously considering it.

Re: doulas

• Options
    I don't plan on having one, but I know of women who have had one and I've heard nothing but great things.  There is a woman on Babies: 6-12 who use to be a hospital doula her sn is iris427, I don't think she minds questions she has it in her siggy.
  • Options

Ok, I had no idea what a doula was so I googled it and here is what I found, for those of you who are also clueless.  I'm not sure if this is for me but I guess it is something to look into.

https://www.dona.org/mothers/index.php

What is a doula? image

The word "doula" comes from the ancient Greek meaning "a woman who serves" and is now used to refer to a trained and experienced professional who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after birth; or who provides emotional and practical support during the postpartum period.

Studies have shown that when doulas attend birth, labors are shorter with fewer complications, babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.

A Birth Doula

• Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life
    • Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor
    • Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth
    • Stays with the woman throughout the labor
    • Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decision
    • Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers
    • Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman's memory of the birth experience
    • Allows the woman's partner to participate at his/her comfort level

A birth doula certified by DONA International is designated by the initials CD(DONA).

Research evidence shows that the quality services of a postpartum doula can ease the transition that comes with the addition of a baby to a family, improve parental satisfaction and reduce the risk of mood disorders.

A Postpartum Doula

• Offers education, companionship and nonjudgmental support during the postpartum fourth trimester
    • Assists with newborn care, family adjustment, meal preparation and light household tidying
    • Offers evidence-based information on infant feeding, emotional and physical recovery from birth, infant soothing and coping skills for new parents and makes appropriate referrals when necessary

A postpartum doula certified by DONA International is designated by the initials PCD(DONA).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I had a doula with DD and it was NOT a good experience... but I have to say that I'm the only person I know who had a bad doula experience.

Let me just say this: if you hire a doula, be sure to have an agreement with her as to when she will appear to help you... it's realy easy to say that she'll be there "when you go into labor", but what, precisely does that mean? When you go into the hospital? Earlier if you ask?

I had a crazy insane labor with DD. I started contracting at 4 a.m. on a Wednesday morning... I was in prodromal labor - I was having insanely long contractions (3-4 minutes some of them) right from the start, but they were completely uneven. Went to the hospital Thursday morning and was turned away. Went back Friday morning and was admitted - they put me on morphene. Friday evening I went on Pitocin. Was on Pitocin for 20 hours before the decision was made to break my water and plant an internal monitor... it wasn't until THEN (Saturday evening) that my doula deigned to show up.

She got there just in time to hold my hand while they put in the epidural. Then I had a bunch of labor on the epidural. She sat there eating snacks, because there wasn't any pain to deal with. At midnight on Saturday, I had been stalled at 7 cm for 6 hours and we decided to have a C-section. She was in the room for the C (which was about an hour). She stayed for about 45 mintues afterwards.

For this, we paid her $600.

We had informed her of everything that was going on with my contractions, and I kept asking her if now was the time she'd come... 

Like I said, get a very, very clear written agreement as to when your doula will appear.

...even though that was my experience with a doula for #1, I'm actually considering having a doula for #2 (I'm planning to VBAC)... THIS doula is somebody I actually know from my life (I've met her since DD's birth) and I'm pretty sure that she'll take a more active role... I told her about doula #1 and she was pretty horrified.

The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

imageimage

I am the 99%.
  • Options

imageindyrowergirl:
    I'm hoping to go natural and as intervention-free as possible (using Hypnobabies) and my doula will be my Hypnobabies instructor (she's certified as both).  The hospital that I'm delivering at actually has a doula program in house as well, in case you don't know who to contact.  That might be a place to start.  I agree that the new-agey factor turns me off a bit, but as long as she doesn't break out the crystals and try to read my aura I think we'll get along fine!  Big Smile

Ditto the recommendation to contact Iris. I had a question and she was very helpful.

LOL... at the new agey thing. We are using Hypnobabies also and I would LOVE to have a doula - but we don't have one. This is about as far out there as I get - well that and the accupuncture....

• Options
    I did not have a doula and am not planning on having a doula.  If your plan is to get an epi I don't really see the need for a doula.  I would recommend one if you want a natural birth.
  • Options
    I'm planning on looking into this more too. I have a few friends that did this for their first time and really thought it was a good thing. They said it was very comforting and helpful to have someone that had been through the experience before and could help you through the process a bit. All of my friends had an epidural i believe. But the doula was really there for emotional support and to be someone available consistently throughout the labor process since doctors aren't really there for all of it, and even the nurses on staff may change shifts during everything i guess.
  • Options
    I had never heard of a Doula before reading it in a book a couple of months ago.  I was sold ASAP.  I've done a lot of research online, read peoples opinions, and searched for local Doulas.  I have my first interview with one in two weeks.  I feel so lost in this pregnancy and just feel at peace having the thought of a Doula being present to help out and for hubby to be able to concentrate on me instead of me yelling at him to do something. :)
  • Options
    You are right.  The Dr. doesn't come into the picture until it's time to push.  But you have the nurses:)  Mine was wonderful.  She was there for me and my DH  She knew how to make me comfortble without me even having to ask.  That is why I say no doula if you plan on getting an epi.  You have the nurses.  Doula's are wonderful if you go for no epi so they can guide you through labor.  Try Bradly classes too.  My co-worker loved it.  I on the other hand want another epi if #2 comes along:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"