Multiples
Options

pg w/ twins - are appts billed as a single or double?

Is insurance billed different for a twin vs. a singleton pregnancy for the monthly/bi-weekly/weekly OB appts?

Is the NT scan (and any other radiology appt) billed differently as they will be monitoring 2 instead of 1?

Just curious..

Re: pg w/ twins - are appts billed as a single or double?

• Options

double

it sucks for copays and stuff!

• Options

huh?  There is one patient- just you.  I have not been billed double.

when you have the babies- sure- then it's double for THEIR appts- b/c it's two patients.

one patient.. one pregnancy... one delivery... I'm the one that is insured- not the babies right now.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    single for office visits, double for all ultrasounds, NSTs, etc.
  • Options
    I think it depends on your insurance.  I didn't pay double co-pays or anything extra because I was having twins.  Maybe they charged my insurance company more, but I never saw any of it.
  • Options
    huh. weird. i was always billed as a single patient. even for u/s and everything.
    How to tell my boys apart

The different types of twins and triplets

Jack, Sydney and Carynne, Annaleigh, JW, Eden...forever in our hearts.
    My blog * We made the national news!
  • Options
    Mine was for a single patient - me - throughout pg until delivery. Then I was billed for the care for each baby starting as soon as they were born - but only one time for the delivery charges related to my care.

Sounds like you might want to check with you individual insurance plan to be sure what happens for you.
  • Options
    just me - single - until they were born, and now it's double :)
  • Options
    I'm billed as a single patient, but when I look at the line items on the u/s bills I can see double the growth scans, double the cerebral artery checks etc etc. I still only pay one co-pay though. Thank god for insurance to pay  the rest!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Don't hate me, but I think I have the best insurance ever in regards to prenatal care.  I paid $25 at my first OB office visit and all the rest were no charge!!  I paid $45 each for the 2 times I went to a peri.  So, babies (after infertility treatments and before delivery) were a total of $95!!! 
  • Options

I also only paid $25 once with my OB then everything is covered by insurance until delivery. But I see on the bill where they are charging the insurance for "additional fetus" on ultrasounds.

Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

• Options
    KMB7KMB7 member
    All of my visits were billed for just one (me). Delivery was billed for multiple delivery.?
    TTC since 7/06, found out about PCOS on 8/31/06 Dec.2007~ Metformin 1500mg, prenatals, Femara 2.5mg)(cd3-7), Gonal F 100iu(cd5-?) and Ovidrel with TI. DH~ antibiotics to improve motility (cd1-10)
    Beta #1 15dpo 298, Beta #2 18dpo 1048
    Family Blog
    Infertility Blog
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers image
  • Options

All of your office visits are billed for just you. You should not be paying 2 copay's, no matter what insurance policy you have. YOU are the only patient...and YOU are the only one that an be billed for a copay.

However, the bills will be higher, like a pp said, u/s' and whatnot are billed with an "additional fetus"...rightfully so, since everything takes longer (checking 2 fetus' inside of one, etc). That will only effect your out of pocket costs if you have coinsurance amounts. For example, if you pay 10% of all your bills, then you will pay more, since the bill will be higher and your insurance will be paying more, as well.

Also, if you have a copay for the hospital, you will pay 3 (one for you, and one for EACH baby). But for any office visit prior to babies being born, you can only be charged one copay.

I work in medical billing. I hope that made sense. :) 

• Options
    Single for office visits, double for all ultrasounds (except the cervix checks, since I may have two babies but only have one cervix. ;))
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options

I was billed once and only once for all of my office visits (paid $40 the first time I went to the OB) then after that no payments at all for each visit (which was good because we went every 2 weeks!)

When I delivered I had to pay a hospital inpatient copay 3 times (once for me and once for each baby)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The stuff for me (copays etc) are single but I did notice that the summary of benefits I got for the growth scan w/ peri showed 2 charges for reading the ultrasound, although only 1 for the actual visit with her (that visit with u/s was $2000 before negotiated insurance rates/coverage, and $1200 of it was her charges, crazy).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"